Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree VS Power lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVXi_0H_ZzM

My explanation for the explosion is that once the tree got hot it started releasing vapour and methane. Fire provided ionization needed to sustain the long arc, and then methane and air reached an explosive mix proportion. The arc ignited the methane mix. Explosion destroyed the arc (due to chem reaction and air displacement) and the process started over. I honestly hoped for the trunk to explode into splinters like after the lightning strike
    Last edited by DRC-Wartex; 11-20-2009, 02:38 AM.

Re: Tree VS Power lines

that was interesting
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Tree should have been trimmed or removed long before it was allowed to lay on the primaries. People think wood is a poor electrical conductor, but when it's wet or moist all that changes!

Comment

That was freaking awesome!

Comment

I think that the short triggered the opening of a breaker at a distribution sub-station which is what stopped the current flow the first time. The grid then tried to re-route power to the affected area around the open breaker, which is what brought the power back on and then the electrical fire resumed. The path to ground again became so great that this second supply tripped off.

This is what happens what someone hits a pole with a car and drops a line, the system tries to recover. Sort of self-healing like the internet.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

arcs, once they start, are very hard to break

Comment

I'm wondering a few things:
              1. Who was the genious that either, a.) put a power line that close to that type of tree, where it would be capable of touching; or b.) didn't cut/prune the tree back enough from the line so that it wouldn't be a hazard of touching.
              2. And, wherever this was filmed, it appears that their fire department's response time is first rate.

Comment

I'm wondering a few things:
                1. Who was the genious that either, a.) put a power line that close to that type of tree, where it would be capable of touching; or b.) didn't cut/prune the tree back enough from the line so that it wouldn't be a hazard of touching.
                Most likely the latter. Tree grew and no pruning done as a cost saving measure.
                1. And, wherever this was filmed, it appears that their fire department's response time is first rate.
                Yes, the Fire Dept. was a little sluggish that day weren't they.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X