Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pool / spa equipment ground

Hello pro's,

Someone told me that when running a branch out to a pool or spa, you have to use the same gage wire for the equipment ground (green) as for the conductors. Is this right? I've always sized the equipment grounds one guage smaller, just to save a few bucks on the wire -- are pool / spa installations different? And, what would be the logic behind it? My state (CA) uses the 2005 NEC and I haven't found a good deal on one of those yet!

I'm asking because I just relocated my spa and had to relocate the disconnect box. I was going to re-use the same wire, which is #6 for the conductors and #8 for the green wire.

Thanks in advance!

-Andy

Re: pool / spa equipment ground

You're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      You're good to go.
      Thanks - I was hoping I didn't have to buy more wire.... that stuff's not cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        I've always sized the equipment grounds one guage smaller, just to save a few bucks on the wire --
        I must say, this is a poor choice. You are better off sizing the wire the proper way; according to 250.122, not simply winging it.

Comment

Same, when you enter the world of Arc-Fault breakers, you are going to wish you ran regular romex with the same sized ground.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            Same, when you enter the world of Arc-Fault breakers, you are going to wish you ran regular romex with the same sized ground.
            What does the size of the ground have to do with an arc-fault breaker's operation?

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
              I must say, this is a poor choice. You are better off sizing the wire the proper way; according to 250.122, not simply winging it.
              You're right... I should have been more clear. I do check NEC first. Well, I DID.... I have NEC 2002, but California is now under 2005 and I don't have one yet (not a pro, just a homeowner). Hence the question. The circuits I add tend to be higher amp circuits, like the spa or big welder... which I add to every home I move into. On those big circuits, 250-122 allows you to go down 2 sizes... I usually just go down one size to be conservative.

For normal circuits in the house, it's all romex, with the ground the same as the conductors, just like the table says.

Thanks for the good comment though, you are dead right.

Comment

Working...
              X