Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

LED Street Lights - Have you seen any of them?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Street Lights - Have you seen any of them?

In the area where I live the local community wants the old mercury vapor street lights updated. The local electric utility company owns the wood poles and fixtures on them. The utility is willing to consider replacing the fixtures with high pressure sodium vapor ones, but the locals think that going for LEDs would be a better choice.

Here is what I can say.
    High pressure sodium vapor lamps are tried and proven for street lighting.
    They are more energy efficient than mercury vapor or metal halide.
    They are claimed to be better for the environment in regards to disposal than other HID lamps.
    They cost less to install and operate than other HID lamps.
    High pressure sodium vapor lamps put out a golden warm light but color rendering sure isn't very good. I personally don't like what they look like either, but they aren't near as bad as the strong yellow light from low pressure sodium vapor lighting used mostly in other countries.

LED street light fixtures are costly to purchase and install, but they sure don't need as frequent re-lamping as do HID types. Would the LED upgrade ever pay off? Do they look OK when on? These are things I can't comment on as I have yet to see any in operation.

Now here is my question to all that read this. Have any of you actually seen LED street lights lit up at night? If yes, what do they look like in regard to color and color rendering? Given that they are costly to buy as of now, do you think they are worth it? What about some other type of lamp?

Some of the locals want to just be rid of street lighting altogether and not have to bother with them at all. I say it's a BAD IDEA = Much more crime at night and people can't see so they trip and fall down.

Re: LED Street Lights - Have you seen any of them?

I have seen LED street lights in use, however they were purchased for private use to illumiate a parking lot. However, the project was a demonstration for each pole also had a battery bank and solar arrays to charge each battery.

I was rather impressed with the fact that LED lighting was able to produce effective illumination, but as with any new technology, the initial costs are prohibitive, and defeat the purpose for such an upgrade, something municipalities are not willing to endure in the face budget cuts. Not to mention that many LED lighting devices are still undergoing UL approval processes to aquire the listings needed to be sold.

Comment

In my area if they went for them even though the cost is high they would be powered from line power supplied by the electric utility. I like the idea of solar panels or a small windmill and a battery bank, but around here space would be a major issue and also there's just NO way the electric company would allow such to be done. I bet they end up with high pressure sodium vapor lighting soon. For color rendering it would be nice if they went with metal halide but I can't see them spending the $$$ and they aren't as environmentally friendly.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Here the new trend is led traffic lights.

It's another perfect example of people jumping on the "Green" bandwagon and not using their heads.

In Maine we have this thing called snow. We all know LED's do not produce much heat. So when it's snowing it's covering up the lights in some areas and causing accidents.

Until a permanent solution is found, crews are having to clean the lights during storms.

I suspect the permanent solution we be to install some sort of electrical heating system that in the end will probably end up using just as much, if not more, electricity.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Nowadays more and more people are using LEDs! Architects, contractors, developers, REITs, property managers, factories, business owners, and homeowners. Whenever you want to save money on your energy bill you should use LED lighting; especially if you have lighting on for a long period of time each day.
          Baoding Electricity Valley Technology Co., Ltd engaged in producing and selling LED street lights, solar LED street lights, solar garden lights etc,.
          If you have any questions, please feel freet to contact me!
          Ms. Cathy
          Phone: 86-312-5903077
          Last edited by solarledlights; 11-23-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Is this the lighting project on 46 St in MPLS, MN?

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Here the new trend is led traffic lights.

It's another perfect example of people jumping on the "Green" bandwagon and not using their heads.

In Maine we have this thing called snow. We all know LED's do not produce much heat. So when it's snowing it's covering up the lights in some areas and causing accidents.

Until a permanent solution is found, crews are having to clean the lights during storms.

I suspect the permanent solution we be to install some sort of electrical heating system that in the end will probably end up using just as much, if not more, electricity.
              The funny thing is, if they removed the lens hoods that are no longer needed with LED lighting, it wouldnt be an issue. the LEDs are bright enough that in sun light the hoods no longer are needed like they were with the older bulbs!

Comment

This coming January I will have been retired for three years.

I spent my career in the line crew so I don't have much experience with repairing lights and understanding what different types of lights were problem lights but I do have some knowledge just from my association with a power company and street and yard lighting.

Mercury Vapor lights give off white looking light. They are not as energy efficient as high pressure sodium lights (high pressure sodium lights give more lumens for your energy buck), but, high pressure sodium lights give off that pinkish looking light that doesn't seem to illuminate as well. Also, a problem with the mercury vapors bulbs is that they grow dimmer as they age and the HPS bulb doesn't do that. The halite bulb gives off more of a yellowish color.

The LED bulbs I know nothing about. They weren't around in street and yard lighting (at the company that I worked for) when I retired. I personally don't like the quality of light put out by LED bulbs in my maglights that have them. But, each to his own.

I'd like to see a LED street light just for my own knowledge

Comment

All the United Dairy Farmers, the gas stations use them under their canopies for the gas pumps.

Very easy on the eyes. Kinda reminds me of what it looks like during an eclipse of the sun. It's sunny and shaded at the same time.

From what I remember, LEDs are not directional lighting at all. They have a light bluish tinge to it, never a light that makes you squint when approaching out of darkness.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

The traffic signals in San Diego are almost all LED now, for several years. I saw ( and forgot ) the dollar savings on the electric bill and it is huge.

And since each lamp is actually a grid of MANY smaller lamps, the whole thing never goes out. If there is a failure, or some kid hits it with a bb, you see just a segment gone. Most of the light is still lit.

Red, green, and yellow are the easy colors for led. I see no issues with visibility,etc.

Comment

Our utility has been changing the streetlights over to induction lighting fixtures. They look like flourescent tubes inside the fixture. The color is good (more white than yellow) and they are allegedly more energy efficient. The light in front of our house was recently changed from an incandescent to a HP sodium. The light is so bright that I don't need to use the lights in the front rooms. No LED streetlights yet.

Comment

Snow and ice should not be an issue with downward-facing street lighting.

I was driving an ambulance westbound back to quarters.
                        Our traffic signal turned GREEN but I was not convinced that a southbound SUV was stopping.
                        I remained where I was.
                        Woman driving SUV traveled righthrough her STALE RED signal.
                        I turned left and caught up wither athe next intersection.

Shexplained thathe north-facing lamps were covered in snow and she did not see the YELLOW or RED signals.

I recall they now place a no-stick coating on some LED lamps.
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 01-12-2011, 02:27 PM.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
                        X