X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old wall oven

Our old GE wall oven just went kaput. Found a real good deal on a new wall oven. Pulled the old oven to find it was connected to power with a 3-wire cable. The connection for the new oven has 4 wires.

The wiring in the house about 2/3 very up-to-date, the rest from the middle 1960s or early 1970s. The range/oven has it's own breaker.

We had thought the guy who did the 2/3 work finished the kitchen ... and, everything ELSE appears brand new. However, the electrical to the oven is the old electrical.

Must I run new electrical or is there a way to safely use the wiring already in place? Any help out there?

Re: Old wall oven

Originally posted by richard2456 View Post
    Our old GE wall oven just went kaput. Found a real good deal on a new wall oven. Pulled the old oven to find it was connected to power with a 3-wire cable. The connection for the new oven has 4 wires.

The wiring in the house about 2/3 very up-to-date, the rest from the middle 1960s or early 1970s. The range/oven has it's own breaker.

We had thought the guy who did the 2/3 work finished the kitchen ... and, everything ELSE appears brand new. However, the electrical to the oven is the old electrical.

Must I run new electrical or is there a way to safely use the wiring already in place? Any help out there?
    Heh, same happened with my parent's home, replacing the range circuit was never part of the contract. However, I must ask, is your new oven capable of accepting a three prong range cord? For ovens that I have installed, there is usually a jumper that connects the grounding terminal to the neutral terminal. Something that must be removed when installing the newer four-pronged range cord.

Oh, and the NEC does allow the ground and neutral to be connected for ranges, but only for existing circuits.

Comment

Thanks! The wires coming out of the oven are red, black, white and bare.

According to the manual, the "unit is grounded to the frame through the green or solid grounding wire" which are twisted together at the termination of the conduit. there is no green wire so I guess the ground is one of the others ...

BTW, it is a 3.6 kw Maytag ...

Comment

You'd be connecting the white and bare wire from the oven to the the bare wire. Do check the amperage on the two ovens many of the newer ones can be higher amperage then the older ones. Check that the existing circuit is sufficient.
        Last edited by boytyperanma; 12-02-2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Richard, You did not say what color wires are coming from the old wire coming from the panel? If you have a red,black, white, and bare wire or a BX cable you are fine. If you have only a black and white and ground then "technically" you need to run a new line, however many tie the white from the oven to ground to make it work. it will work that way, however it is not "technically" correct.

Comment

Working...
          X