• 14/3 wire

Can you run 14/3 romex for HR and not use the red wire

Re: 14/3 wire

Originally posted by gotflow View Post
    Can you run 14/3 romex for HR and not use the red wire
    Anybody know

Comment

My guess would be NO, as it would leave some doubt to future electricians as to what was going on with the "red". But I don't have a current NEC manual, so I really don't know (besides, I'm not a licensed electrician).

I'd ask a local "Master" or check with your local code administrator.

CWS

Comment

Just my gut feeling is yes, but again I do not know what the code says,

I would think one could just roll up the extra in the back of the box, and the same in the breaker box, if it was properly marked I do not know why having a spare wire would matter,
        (on large Irrigation sprinklers they run a "snake of wires" from the end to the center, of it to run controls and to power the drive motors and many times they do not use all the wires in the cable, (like said I am not sure if it meets the code), I have also seen items abandoned and the wires just caped off.

On another job I had a licensed electrician come in and do the wiring, and the building had been remodeled a good number of times in its history, and I suggested to pull out sum of the old unused wiring and he said it was not necessary, Then I proceeded to cut down a old conduit that needed to be removed for the new remodeling and blew my reciprocating saw blade up, as it was not Hooked up, according ot the electriciton,), Even after that he did not think it was necessary to pull out the old unused wiring.

the simplest is to call the inspector and see what he says.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Toledo is really stricted with there electricial codes, mabe I will call down town and ask somebody?

Comment

Absolutely YES.

This is done all the time. It's called a spare wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
              Absolutely YES.

This is done all the time. It's called a spare wire.
              What petey said.
              Done all the time. Just put a wire nut on both ends od the red wire, in case you want to use it int the future.

Comment

Not really an answer - more of a suggestion:
                If you already have the 14/3 run, why not split the receptacle?

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
                  Not really an answer - more of a suggestion:
                  If you already have the 14/3 run, why not split the receptacle?
                  Wouldn't you then have to be on two breakers? What would the advantage be?

Comment

You could split the receptacle and use the red as the switch leg for one side of the receptacle. Like for an outdoor post light. You could have one-half of the receptacle hot at all times, say to plug in your weed wacker. The other half would be split. You could control your outside Xmas decorations from the switched side. That would only require one breaker for that circuit. Or you could use the red wire as the line side for a completely different circuit. Say you were running a high amp table saw in your garage. You'd plug the table saw into the top half of the receptacle. You then plug your shop vac to pull up the dust from the saw on the other side. That way you don't risk popping the breaker every time you turn on the table saw and the shop vac at the same time. Hope this helps.
                    Cheers,
                    Jim Don

Comment

Thanks for all the info on 14/3 wire..I like the sw outlet idea, always a good idea to have extra wire if needed...

Comment

Working...
                      X