X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug-in 13watt CFL conversion

Greetings and Happy Holidays. Many new homes now have plug-in flourescent can light fixtures. I have found that the ballasts, Progress company, are going bad within 6 years old. Is there a way to convert the sockets to screw-in bulbs without changing the can? I realized that the ballast would have to be bypassed.

thanx for the help.

Re: Plug-in 13watt CFL conversion

I would be more worried about wether or not the can is able to take the heat of an incandecent lamp.

Comment

Re: Plug-in 13watt CFL conversion

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      I would be more worried about wether or not the can is able to take the heat of an incandecent lamp.
      If he instead went to reg 13amp compact fluorescent bulbs I doubt that would be an issue.

As to the larger question. Your only answer that will abide by code when it comes to modifying the fixtures would be through Progress, so your best bet would be to call them. It is unlikely any other company would make a UL listed conversion kit for a Progress fixture.

I wouldn't go around installing new ones if they are having ballast issues but why go through the cost and effort of modifying the fixtures. If the ballasts are lasting 6 years, replace the ballasts when they burn out and move on. If this is an ongoing problem Progress is likely correcting the problem with the ballasts or have already done so. Complain to Progress and see what they have to say on it.

If you wanted to go all engineer on it and just modify away anyhow, the insides of a regular Progress light will probably fit in those cans just fine. You'd basically be buying a regular recessed light and pulling out the socket from the florescent fixture and replacing it with the incandescent fixture parts.

Comment

Working...
      X