Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

Any experiences or recommendations for mobile power?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Pure Sine Wave Inverter?

when I read the heading and post for mobile power for some reason this picture came to mind,

apparently it works,
    and you can even fix your AC if it no longer works,

but some how I doubt if this is what your looking for,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

what are you using it for? modifield sine wave is cheaper and works just as good. before we had power out here, we used a generator, battery bank, and a Trace modifield sine wave inverter. it ran everything from computers, tv's etc. to you name it. all worked perfect.
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

The output voltage wave form from a pure sine wave inverter is clean like utility co. supplied power. Some devices will not work using a modified sine wave inverter. These include laser printers, photocopiers, certain laptop computers, some fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts, power tools using solid state or variable speed controls, furnaces and pellet stoves with microprocessor controls and home automation equipment. Not saying all of the above will never work with a modified sine wave inverter, just that some may not and you could point to the modified sine wave inverter as the culprit.

Comment

Killavolt,

there are a lot of people here besides me that use the modified inverters and never have had any problems even with fluorescent lights etc. what inverter do you have?
          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Jerad, I said pure sine wave inverters have cleaner power. You may use a modified sine wave converter and never have problems with the devices you have powered by one. But if one could afford a pure sine wave inverter and sensitive electronics are involved, it might make sense.

Comment

JC

Can you provide more info such as the electrical load and type of devices you wish to run? Please note that electric motors require alot more power to start them and bring them up to speed than when running. There are companies that make large capacity true sine wave inverters but you'll be paying a good price for such and you'll need far more than just a vehicle starting battery to supply one of them for any reasonable running time. On the other hand if you don't have that much load but need to run sensitive electronics you can get a self contained quality UPS system for a small server computer. Some of them are setup for external batteries so you can have longer run times.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                JC

Can you provide more info such as the electrical load and type of devices you wish to run? Please note that electric motors require alot more power to start them and bring them up to speed than when running. There are companies that make large capacity true sine wave inverters but you'll be paying a good price for such and you'll need far more than just a vehicle starting battery to supply one of them for any reasonable running time. On the other hand if you don't have that much load but need to run sensitive electronics you can get a self contained quality UPS system for a small server computer. Some of them are setup for external batteries so you can have longer run times.
                I've thunk about it before and am refreshing my memory some.

Typical work things: Drain machine, Timberwolf type drill, Sawzall, Computer, Printer etc. etc.

Thinking pure sine wave inverter, heavy duty alternator, secondary battery.

I KNOW what can be done with a generator. Looking at all options.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

There are 3 different types of inverters, Square Wave, Modified Sine Wave, and Pure Sine Wave.

The most popular is modified sine wave. This is a cross between the other two. This type of power inverter causes the 'Wall Warts' and 'Power Bricks' to run HOTTER and thereby shortening their useful life.

Pure Sine Wave is what the utility company provides. An inverter with this type of wave form will not affect the performance of sensitive electrical components.

I captured a small Soundbite of the waveforms, one is a Pure Sine Wave at 60Hz the other is a Square Wave at 60Hz. The square wave sounds like distortion, very unpleasant. The pure sine wave might not be audible from most computers, a good quality sub should reproduce a pleasant rumble.

This experiment is to demonstrate what the equipment you plug into these inverters will "hear" and have to deal with.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank You! Now I have a better understanding of what I was being told the other week and thought my source of information was full of IT. I put a string of orange colored lights on my golf cart at Halloween. I have a separate 12v deep-cycle battery onboard for lights, horn, etc. I used a 500 watt inverter to run these lights while taking the grandson's for Trick-or-Treat. Then--when Christmas came around I placed a set of our older Christmas lights, which have a controller to adjust their blinking frequency, on the cart and all it would do was stay light, no blinky. When I tested the lights with normal 110v current they worked just fine. Each time I used the inverter they would only stay on, no blinky. I was told this was due to the inverter having some type of different sine wave frequency than household current, and I did think this guy was shooting something over my head. Now I understand what he was trying to describe. Thanks for the info, David

Comment

Working...
                    X