No announcement yet.

connecting a generator to a furnace

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting a generator to a furnace

Is it OK to splice into the line that feeds the furnace and make one end a plug and the other an outlet? Then when power is interupted I can
    connect the generator with an extension cord? Of course I would turn off the main breakers before hooking up the generator.

Re: connecting a generator to a furnace

Why would you turn off the mains if you are hooking up to the furnace with an extension cord? After unplugging it from the main power supply, it is no different than plugging in a drill or some other power tool to your generator. Once you unplug the furnace, it has no connection to your panel box.

If you choose to do this, do not "SPLICE" into the line, Separate the line.

I my self would either cut the line and put a plug on the end of the cut line, so one can plug into an extension cord, to the generator, and then put a box and receptacle on the other end of the line so when power comes back on you can just plug in the furnace,

Or remove the power wire going into the furnace, and get a short heavy 14 gage, extension cord, and cut off the receptacle end and use that as a cord with the molded in plug as the wire to feed your furnace,

be sure to shut off the breakers when working on the wiring just in case power comes back on when working on it,

(I do not think a plug on a furnace meets code, I think it is to be hard wired in.)

you can read the post,

but make a clean separation on the power, so you can not accidentally feed back, either to the power line or the power line to the generator.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

If you loose your power and have the need to hook up a portable generator, I would suspect that there may be other circuits in the house (lighting, refrigerator, etc.) that you may want to energize. Why not install a "GEN-TRAN" panel? They come in various sizes and are a much cleaner way to go... just a thought.

I appreciate the replies but I guess my question is still. Is it OK to to do?
          Cut the line to the furnace, make one end a plug and the other an outlet?
          By OK I mean: will it work? is it legal? will it affect my home owners insurance? Transfer switches are expensive, especially if you have an electrician install it. But hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
          Bite the bullet and pay up. I'm just looking into the smartest way to go
          considering the expense and what I can afford ( which isn't a lot ).
          What have other people done and what were the results? I guess I was hoping this was OK to do because it's relatively quick and easy with little added expense. I mean the generator was expensive enough but will certainly appreciate having it when power goes out. Winters are cold in western PA and I want to be ready.