Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on fixing an outlet with an open ground?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on fixing an outlet with an open ground?

I had my basement finished by a renovator in the fall, overall he did a good job, though I'm planning to put in a new outlet so I started testing the circuits in my basement with a plug tester. I've located the last outlet in the circuit, though I'm finding that it has an open ground. The outlet before that one in the circuit has a good connection to ground, so I know the problem lies somewhere between those two points. All the wiring is 14-2 Romex, and the copper ground wire appears to have good contact in the outlets. Any advice?

Re: Any tips on fixing an outlet with an open ground?

Go to the next to the last outlet and make sure the ground wire is connected there also.

G3

Comment

Many times contractors will rely on the screws in the back of the box to propigate the ground. I always twist them together.

Comment

I'll take a look at the screws on the outlets when I get home. Is it possible that there might be a break in the ground wire within the Romex sheath?

As a side note, just saw that a whole bunch of Home Improvement books were recalled due to incorrect diagrams that could potentially create safety and fire hazards. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10104.html

The scary thing is that one of the publications dates back to 1975. I wonder what the diagram error is and why it's gone unnoticed for so long.

Comment

Working...
        X