X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring saw for 220vac

I am going to wire my R4511 Table saw for 220vac. The manual shows how to change the motor wiring, pretty straight forward, but don't I also need to change the wiring in the switch and the plug?

Re: Wiring saw for 220vac

Yes you will need a 220/240V power source to plug into. The receptacle will have to be changed to a 220/240V configuration as well as the wiring. You will need to install a 2 pole 20A breaker and I would run this as a dedicated circuit for your saw. You will also have to change the 120V pigtail (plug) to a 240V pigtail or cut the plug off and install a 240V cord cap.

Comment

I think I asked the question wrong, I am in the process of adding 220 into my garage through a new sub panel.

Do I need to install a new switch, or does the typical application only switch 1 of the "hot" legs?

Now I am going to look at the switch, I have been assuming the switch is single pole!!!

Comment

A switch for what? Switched receptacle? If that's your question, you need a 20A DPST switch. If it's the switch on the saw follow manafacturer's wiring instructions.

Comment

If you're asking about the switch on the saw, the saw's power cord and it's plug, none of that needs to be changed. All of the saw's electrical components are rated to handle either 110 or 220 volts.

The general advantage of going to 220 is because the amp draw will be approximately half of what the 110 voltage requires. Simply stated, with 110 volts at 15 amps you may well reach the limits of the wiring under heavy load. At 220 volts, the amps are more in the range of 7-8 amps and well within the wire's amperage limits.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

For Killavolt; the manual does not show anything for the switch. I just went and looked at the switch, it is a DPST switch. So that answers my question. Thanks to all for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              If you're asking about the switch on the saw, the saw's power cord and it's plug, none of that needs to be changed.
              I hate to contradict you, but this is misleading. The plug it comes with is a NEMA 5-15P. This is just like any other tool that's 110V, 15A. The manual makes plain that it should be cut off and replaced with the appropriate plug for 220V wiring, however.

I don't know the wiring specifics of the motor, but in my mind, the risk of not changing the plug, and plugging a 220V wired saw directly into a 110 socket because the plug fits, is that the live wire is shorted directly to neutral. This would be bad design practice if true, but hardly unimaginable.

For 220V, the receptacle you need is a NEMA 6-20R, and the plug needs to be changed for a NEMA 6-20P. In theory, there is such a thing as a NEMA 6-15, but try buying one!

Comment

Yes, you are absolutely correct! My mistake for sure, as you sure won't be able to plut that into a properly configured 220 outlet.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                  I hate to contradict you, but this is misleading. The plug it comes with is a NEMA 5-15P. This is just like any other tool that's 110V, 15A. The manual makes plain that it should be cut off and replaced with the appropriate plug for 220V wiring, however.
                  Cutting off the plug and replacing it will remove the UL listing regardless of what the manual states.
                  You must replace the cord assembly (cord & plug) with a suitable one for the saw. Just like you would have to do with any other appliance.
                  The saw manufacturer should have this cord available. After all they sold you a dual voltage saw motor with a cord and plug for single voltage. You also must change the voltage input in the saw motor connection box. It could be moving some wire connections or jumpers. You cannot just change the cord and plug it into 220 volts.

If it were my saw. I would cut the plug off and replace it, and change the voltage in the saw to 220. But it is your saw.

Here is the NEMA chart if you need it. http://www.hubbell-canada.com/wiring...t/pdf/b/b5.pdf
                  Last edited by John Valdes; 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM.
                  Licensed Electrician

Comment

I was simply pointing out that NOT changing the plug when the motor has been rewired would be wrong. Rewiring the switch to use the correct cable/plug assy for 220V would be no more difficult than changing the plug, but I think the issue is that the cable is not available as a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                      I was simply pointing out that NOT changing the plug when the motor has been rewired would be wrong. Rewiring the switch to use the correct cable/plug assy for 220V would be no more difficult than changing the plug, but I think the issue is that the cable is not available as a spare.
                      1) It would be wrong. You are correct.

2) Like I said before. In real life, I would cut off the plug too. It would be just as safe and alot easier. But it would be a violation.
                      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                      X