Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure of wiring of new rooms?

Hello all this is my first post.

I am going to be wiring a bedroom in my basement and also a bathroom in my basement. I just have some basic questions on the wiring. What I’m going to do is run two black (hot) and two white (neutral) wires to a junction box near the bedroom and bathroom. From there, I’ll send one black and one neutral wire to a junction box in the bathroom and pigtail two hot wires to the one entering the junction box. One of the new black wires will go to the switch (and lights) and the other black will go to the GFCI. I will do the same thing for the bedroom. Both rooms will be on 20A circuits. My main question here is regarding pigtailing the two new hot wires to the hot wire entering the box for a given room. Is this the way it is typically done?
    Thanks

Re: Procedure of wiring of new rooms?

First off,
    Welcome to the Ridgid forum. Lot of great guys on here with lots of really good, on target information especially if you want to do a job right. Plumbers are exceptionally good, and if you ask me, the plumbers are probably some of the brightest in the entire U.S.

Now, on to your question about wiring two rooms, bathroom and bedroom, in your basement.
    How big is your panel, and how many empty spaces do you have?
    If I were doing your hookup, I'd do a 20-amp dedicated GFCI for the bathroom (required by NEC). The second home run would be a 15-amp dedicated for the lights in the bedroom and the bathroom together, and the third run would be a dedicated 15-amp or 20-amp for your recepts in your bedroom. The 15 or 20-amp decision is up to you depending on if you are going to be running a lot of stuff off those, such as a TV, stereo, etc. and possibly a space heater once in awhile or not. If your demands are going to be real high, run the 12-2 and don't look back. If you don't think your demand is going to be that high, run your 14-2 and you're good to go. You might want to run either a 12-3 or a 14-3 if you want to have switched recepts and not always have to turn on a ceiling fixture in the bedroom. With one bedroom and just a bathroom, you'll be fine with the 14-2 providing your lighting circuit in both. That way, you never will be in the dark if one of the recepts gets overloaded and trips. This is especially critical in a basement where you could find yourself tripping over stuff in the dark trying to find your panel. Hope this helps clarify for you. Forget the j-box stuff, you just need to home run these.
    Cheers,
    Jim Don

Comment

Panel space is not a problem, as all the circuits I will be doing are on a brand new subpanel for my basement (20 circuit panel). When you say dedicated GFCI, what exactly do you mean? Does that mean no lights can be on the circuit and only the GFCI itself can be on the circuit (or a GFCI with a series of outlets)? Also, what do you mean by home running? Running the wires directly to the switch box in the bathroom/bedroom and branching the hot wires from there?
      Thanks

Comment

yes welcome,

first are you using romex, or conduit?

by a home run is to run the wire back to the box to it first intended use point,

in the newest code bed rooms are to fed by an Arc fault breaker,

there is wisdom in separating the lighting and the receptacles.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am using conduit.
          So in this case, if I'm wiring the lighting for two rooms (bedroom and bathroom) on one circuit, what would constitute the home box? the box where the switched are located in one of the rooms (whichever I choose?)

yes, I think separating the receptacles and lighting is the way I'm going to do it after thinking about it.

Comment

I'm not sure what "home run" means either, but I would run independent circuits for the lights and the receptacles from the main panel, on separate breakers. I would use a GFI breaker for the bathroom receptacles because I don't like the appearance of the GFI receptacles. This does mean that you will have to remember to go to the panel and test the GFI function monthly. I've had them fail (no trip) so I'm a stickler for testing.

I would definitely run the outlets and the overhead lights on separate circuits. Makes more sense and seems far more professional.

As BHD points out you do, by code, need arc fault breakers on bedroom circuits. I've heard that these can nuisance trip if used on certain types of motors, so it could be a problem on a ceiling fan or if the same circuit powers the bathroom vent fan. The pro electricians here will know for sure if this is really a problem.

I would NOT run hard wired smoke detectors on a circuit with an arc-fault breaker. I don't want the detector to shut off under fault conditions! Not sure what code says about that but I wouldn't do it in any case no matter what. If code doesn't allow it, use battery-powered smoke detectors which are probably a smarter choice anyway.

Personally I don't use 14g for anything anymore. It saves me money. I only buy 12-2 w/ground romex so I just have ONE roll of wire in the garage. For runs in conduit I have 500 foot rolls of red, black, white and green 12g THHN.... no need to have all that stuff in 14 g as well. Of course for higher amp circuits I have to run out to get larger wire but the 12g handles most of the normal residential work.

Comment

A home run is a cable, or in your case, running in conduit, a hot neutral and ground from the load center to the first device on the string. What I would do is run a 20A 12/2 from the panel to the bathroom GFCI protected, and possibly feed the bath fan if it is located over the shower/tub area. I would feed the lights on a seperate circuit for the bathroom and the bedroom and arc fault protect on another circuit for the bedroom receptacles. The smoke detectors have to be on a seperate circuit all to themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X