X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up generator

Is is ok to turn off the main power disconnect, turn off all the other breakers, plug a generator into the 220 receptacle for your electric dryer, then turn on the breakers you need to run.

Thanks,
    Craig
    Never outsmart your common sense

Re: Hooking up generator

yes and no it can be done. but you can get leaks from the power co. or back feeding even when the main breaker is off. i have seen it. check your breaker. how big is you generator?
    i use a 7,500 watt 30 amp. to power my whole house. i'm very "green" when it comes to my house. i used to be generator only, till power came out here. now i use it for backup.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Jared, thanks for the response.

I just got the generator, it is the Ridgid 8000W. What do you mean when you say to "check the breaker"? I hope it is a good generator, and I hope I won't need it.

Craig

Comment

turn the main breaker off get a volt meter a good one. check to see if you have any volts even 1 or 2 . next check it for any amp draw. if you have a really good they will be so sensitive it will give you 0.0001 if anything is there.

make sure the cord and plug you are using are rated for what you want to do. depending on how long of a reach you will be going to dryer plug to the generator will determan the gauge of the wire. amps and watts as well.
        no as for backfeeding. when you turn on the generator look at your meter. is it moving at all? if so shut everything down and call someone.
        turn off the main breaker, turn on the generator, then plug in the cord to the generator. and there you go. in a nut shell.
        if you feel this above your skill level please call an Electrician. your life and home are much to valuable to gamble it. it will give you piece of mind as well.

Comment

Thanks Jerad. You can buy a transfer switch (I think thats what you call it) that you mount next to your breaker box. Is this the safer way to go and are they difficult to install? I am not afraid of the job I just have a healthy respect for it. I'm afraid I may know just enough to make myself dangerous.

Thanks,
          Craig

Comment

if it means any thing to any one it is code that one has a transfer switch, that totaly disconects the generator from the power company lines,
            this flyer was jsut sent out this month from our power company,

Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

To BHD,
              Thank you for the post on the transfer switch. You may have just saved the life of a lineman, somewhere in the United States. To all others out there considering doing this: Don't, unless you really know what you are doing, understand the NEC, and can do it by the book, and I really mean by the book. If any of you are considering making a double ended extension cord to plug into a 240 volt dryer outlet (the fact that many believe their current is 220v, 230v or 225v tells me a lot all by itself), please do not do it. That cord is called a widowmaker, and for a very, very good reason. And if you do not know why it is a widowmaker, think about it for a moment and see if you can come up with an answer, please -- before you do it. Do not ever try to backfeed a genset into an outlet, 120v, or a dryer or stove outlet, 240v. You will cause a potentially very dangerous situation by feeding that way.
              With all that said,
              Cheers,
              Jim Don

Comment

I like the concept of the GenerLink. One big advantage is you can take it with you if/when you move. A hard-wired transfer switch would have to be left behind and you would have to install another at the new house. Plus, a transfer switch you would move your critical loads over to the breakers in the transfer switch box, and all your other circuits are left in the dark. With the GenerLink ALL you circuits in your house can be powered up but only up to the capacity of the GenerLink and your generator.

Installation is simple too, just plug it in behind the meter. I checked with my utility and they approve its use, yours probably would too.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...61&postcount=2

All that being said I DON'T have one myself, or a generator for that matter. But I do plan on getting a generator and when I do I am buying a Generlink to go with it.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

First of all, you are more than right JimDon. Point well taken and I will not hook up my generator like I had ask about. That was the whole purpose of my question.

Secondly, thank you Bob D. as I had never heard of GenerLink. I read all about it and on one hand it sounds like someone could order it (no idea how much) & install it but on the other hand (the one I believe) you have to call the power company and have them do the initial installation and I guess they would maybe put it on your bill. Anyway, it looks like the way to go.

Again, thanks to both of you guys.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                    Thank you for the post on the transfer switch. You may have just saved the life of a lineman, somewhere in the United States. To all others out there considering doing this: Don't, unless you really know what you are doing, understand the NEC, and can do it by the book, and I really mean by the book. If any of you are considering making a double ended extension cord to plug into a 240 volt dryer outlet (the fact that many believe their current is 220v, 230v or 225v tells me a lot all by itself), please do not do it. That cord is called a widowmaker, and for a very, very good reason. And if you do not know why it is a widowmaker, think about it for a moment and see if you can come up with an answer, please -- before you do it. Do not ever try to backfeed a genset into an outlet, 120v, or a dryer or stove outlet, 240v. You will cause a potentially very dangerous situation by feeding that way.
                    THIS CANNOT BE REPEATED ENOUGH!!!

To anyone even considering doing this THINK first. I know of, and have heard of, people doing this even after knowing it is wrong, illegal and dangerous. These people are morons and have NO regard for others.
                    Sure, anyone can justify it saying they will be safe about it. This is NO excuse or answer. NO ONE can be that safe. Not when other's lives are at stake.
                    I liken it to someone thinking they can drive drunk. REALLY drunk. Sure, you will get home most of the time, but the other time you WILL kill or seriously hurt someone.

PLEASE don't drive drunk and don't back feed your house with a suicide cord.

Comment

if you don't want to do it right and so it safe, then just get a few heavy extension cords and string them out through the house.

plugging a hard to get to fridge cord is made easy if you install a 6' cord onto the original cord and sling it up or to the side of the fridge. that way you don't need to move the fridge to get to the cord in the time of an outage.

unless you have a very serious need for an automatic transfer switch or a standby generator, i would just do the extension cord thing and keep it simple and safe.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

you know Rick, sometimes i think we all over think things and in this situation i would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Moore View Post
                          First of all, you are more than right JimDon. Point well taken and I will not hook up my generator like I had ask about. That was the whole purpose of my question.

Secondly, thank you Bob D. as I had never heard of GenerLink. I read all about it and on one hand it sounds like someone could order it (no idea how much) & install it but on the other hand (the one I believe) you have to call the power company and have them do the initial installation and I guess they would maybe put it on your bill. Anyway, it looks like the way to go.

Again, thanks to both of you guys.

Craig
                          I believe the Generlink is about $700. Sounds high but the install does not have to be done by the utility, I specifically asked this question and they are fine with a licensed electrician pulling the meter and installing the Generlink (at least where I am). Then you just call them and tell them what happened and they will re-seal the meter the next time they come by to read the meter is what I was told. It should only take 20 minutes at most to do the actual install, and that includes reading the instructions.

The beauty of the Generlink is it can feed any circuit in your house without running cords or costly re-wiring. And whenever there is voltage present on the generator input, it keeps the whole house isolated from the mains so no back feed. It does not matter if the AC mains come back up, if the generator is running, it will not switch back to the mains.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Wow....$700. That coupled with the cost of a generator, gasoline for the generator, maybe going to a motel till the power comes back on would be a more sensible solution. Nothing is simple nowdays. Makes you realize (not condone) why people would plug it into a dryer outlet like I first ask about. Anyway, the Generlink is the way I'm going.

Craig

Comment

PLUMBER RICK has the right idea for a simple and quick way for now. You NEVER want to think about back feeding unless you have a very positive method to totally disconnect from the incoming utility. You would need a super pull out disconnect or at the very least an enclosed knife blade fused Safety Switch where the fuses were removed and both the switch handle and the door pad locked. Even that is pretty 1/2 A$$ but it's far better than what too many people try doing.

With a proper and professionally installed transfer switch it's a good idea to open the main disconnect (breaker or safety switch) before transferring the load to your generator. This is assuming you also have a sub-panel for critical loads.

Any extra measures you can take to keep from back feeding are worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X