X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical tool horsepower question

I was once a Journeyman electrician, and we called 746 watts 1 horsepower. Now, how does Rigid get 6.5 hp from 120 volts 112 amps for their big shop vacuum?

Are we counting motor starting current as output for the vac? You need 40 amps at 120 volts to get 6.5 horsepower.

Is this new science or creative marketing? I see a 4.5 hp electric chainsaw advertised by another manufacturer.

Can anyone explain? Thanks, Roly

Re: electrical tool horsepower question

I have wondered if they are using a "locked rotor amps" pull for that rating,

so many of the HP rating on tools are so exaggerated, one needs to look a the rated watts or amps to make any real comparison,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Maybe so. There would not be much vacuum going on with a locked rotor, just a lot of current, for a little while, until the windings burned up.

These guys ought to tell the truth.

Roly

Comment

It is flat out lying IMO. Just like the range claims of those FRS/GMRS radios claiming 30+ miles.

The HP claims are supposedly "developed" horse power. How in the world do they come up with these numbers?

See this link: http://faqs.cs.uu.nl/na-dir/woodworking/motors.html

"Unscrupulous vendors sometimes publish maximum "developed" horsepower
        to make their products seem more capable than they really are.
        Developed horsepower may be two to five times the continuous duty
        rating of a motor. Such products should be examined to discover the
        continuous duty rating to compare with other, more conservatively
        rated products."

Comment

I used to think the inflated HP figures were due to horses being smaller these days.

Lately some mfgrs appear to be advertising current ratings (amps) instead of horsepower.
          Leading the customer to believe more amp draw equals more performance.

----Mike

Comment

Working...
          X