Help with wire question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wire question.

I'm needing to run an new line to my pump pressure switch. I'm taking from my panel box on a run of about 60 feet. I'm going to use grey pvc condiut too. my question is this, can i use THHN 10 awg wire? I'm going to buy a 500 ft roll and run 3 strands in the pipe. this will power a 1 hp submersible pump that's exsisting. I'll just use the extra wire later for another project......thanks.
    sigpic

Re: Help with wire question.

Providing the amperage draw does not exceed the wire's capacity, you may use 10 gauge THHN. It needs to be three different colors though - black white and green to meet code if it's a 120 volt pump. Why not buy the footage you need 60X3=180 feet at Home Depot?

Comment

Romex all the way would be a far easier and cheaper why not use it?

Comment

The pump is 220, the guy at the electrical supply was steering me into the three wire deal. so, if its 220...should i just get some # 10 with 2 colors and a bare ground?

Thanks for the help too.
        sigpic

Comment

If the circuit is to be ran entirely inside conduit, you will need an insulated ground wire. So basically green #10 THHN.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
            Romex all the way would be a far easier and cheaper why not use it?
            The guy at the supply house told me that I couldn't run romex under ground, even when in conduit. that's why I'm asking question here. I know people here know there stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

No one listens to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                No one listens to me.

I did, and thanks for the information too. I've learned from your post what i need to do...
                sigpic

Comment

Use 2 blacks and a green for the ground.
                  Romex can be used only if it is uf rated, but will be harder to pull inside the conduit.

Comment

A 1 Hp motor single phase will draw approximately 8 amps. (NEMA). At 125% you would only need #14 wire. I would use #12 just because. Not needed though. Always use the current rating off of the motor nameplate x 1.25 for wire size.

If you use conduit you need three wires. H-H-G, for 220. Unfortunately you need a green for the ground wire. Have them cut to length 3 wires. The 2 Hots really can be most any color you want except for white, gray or green. Red and black are the most common colors used. Use two blacks or two reds. You do not need red and black.
                    Run a 3/4" conduit even though it is over kill. It will make the wire pulling easier and allow for the addition of extra wires down the road. In fact I would add a white in this pull and cap it off on both ends, just because. You never know.

I do not recommend direct burial cable. You have to dig a deeper trench and it is just not as good as buried PVC, IMO.
                    Direct burial cable (UF) is compliant at a depth of 24" (NEC table 300-5).

Regular Romex (NM Cable) is not compliant in wet locations. So it cannot be used in underground installations, period. Conduit or not. (NEC Art. 334.12).
                    Last edited by John Valdes; 02-27-2010, 01:09 PM.
                    Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
                      A 1 Hp motor single phase will draw approximately 8 amps. (NEMA). At 125% you would only need #14 wire. I would use #12 just because. Not needed though. Always use the current rating off of the motor nameplate x 1.25 for wire size.

If you use conduit you need three wires. H-H-G, for 220. Unfortunately you need a green for the ground wire. Have them cut to length 3 wires. The 2 Hots really can be most any color you want except for white, gray or green. Red and black are the most common colors used. Use two blacks or two reds. You do not need red and black.
                      Run a 3/4" conduit even though it is over kill. It will make the wire pulling easier and allow for the addition of extra wires down the road. In fact I would add a white in this pull and cap it off on both ends, just because. You never know.

I do not recommend direct burial cable. You have to dig a deeper trench and it is just not as good as buried PVC, IMO.

Regular Romex (NM Cable) is not compliant in wet locations. So it cannot be used in underground installations, period. Conduit or not. (NEC Art. 334.12).
                      I have yet to see a contactor housing for a water pump for a residence with 3/4 inch KO's, but then it may just be inexperience talking. However, rather than spend the extra scratch on a wire you may or may not use, run a cheap pull string with the set of wires instead. This way here, God forbid. say you do need to run a conductor, or one fries on you, the string is there for easy pulling for a replacement.

Comment

If the concentric KO's are 1/2", and this is a DIY project, I agree the DIY'er should just use 1/2" conduit. He or she may have no means to knock out for 3/4". A reducer at the starter would make this a moot point, but still make the pull much easier.

The reason I suggested pulling the extra conductor is due to the ability to get other conductors in this conduit over time. The additional pull string is an excellent idea. However. This pull string over time may be impossible to use. So, IMO its a better idea to get the wires in that you can on the first pull with the addition of the pull string. Sometimes you must use an existing wire to add another wire or two, regardless if the pull string is present or not. If the pull string or any of the conductors are twisted just a little bit during the pull, any subsequent additions may require that all the conductors be removed and pulled right back in with the new conductors. My statements are just from past experiences with underground installations.
                        Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post

Some great points here, thanks. think I will use #12 now. that's what the old line is now.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X