Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I split one baseboard heater in two?

I recently turned an 10x16 spare bedroom into a small (8x11) bedroom and small office (8x10). The old room was heated with a single 120v 1500W baseboard heater which I downgraded to a 1000W baseboard in the bedroom, but it turns out the office needs heat too. The wiring for the old 1500W baseboard is easily accessible in the office, and so I am wondering: since I don't want to exceed what the circuit used to have, can I just put two 750W baseboards, one in each room, on the same circuit?

The circuit is controlled by a wall-mount thermostat and both rooms have similar heating situations (after all, they came from one room ) so I am happy to have the thermostat in one room control the temp in both.

So can I do this?

many thanks, this forum is amazing!

Mark

Re: Can I split one baseboard heater in two?

Originally posted by notsewkram View Post
    I recently turned an 10x16 spare bedroom into a small (8x11) bedroom and small office (8x10). The old room was heated with a single 120v 1500W baseboard heater which I downgraded to a 1000W baseboard in the bedroom, but it turns out the office needs heat too. The wiring for the old 1500W baseboard is easily accessible in the office, and so I am wondering: since I don't want to exceed what the circuit used to have, can I just put two 750W baseboards, one in each room, on the same circuit?

The circuit is controlled by a wall-mount thermostat and both rooms have similar heating situations (after all, they came from one room ) so I am happy to have the thermostat in one room control the temp in both.

So can I do this?

Mark
    Sure you can, as long as the original circuit can handle the load. But just remember, wire both baseboards in parallel.

Comment

I came in from splitting wood with the log splitter, and saw this title, "Can I split one baseboard heater in two?" and I said to my self, I think my splitter could fairly easily.

yes, it should no problem to do what you want. Just match up the units same voltage as with what come out.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

And label the panel legend to show the change.
        Licensed Electrician

Comment

notsewkram,
          You can use two 750W on a 20A circuit breaker, with number #12AWG. The continuous load on the 20A, 120V circuit breaker is 1920W. You are below that.
          You didn't mention about your current circuit breaker size. If you have a 15A circuit breaker with #14, your load of 80% is 1440W. Then you might have a problem.
          Heating load required 125% demand. I wouldn't do it if you only have 15A/1P circuit breaker for heating load. If your wire is #12, and your current breaker is 15A; just be safe and replace it with a 20A circuit breaker.
          Hope this help,
          Tea

Originally posted by notsewkram View Post

So can I do this?

Mark
          Last edited by Tea; 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks Tea I was looking for same information in another forum
            Alabama plumbers

Comment

Working...
            X