X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline Ventilation Fan HELP

I bought a Lutron Maestro Electronic Push Button timer MA-T51-WH that I want to use with an Inline fan. The fan is from Panasonic Model FV-40NLF1, but the instructions from Panasonic said “do not use this unit with any SOLID-STATE CONTRO DEVICE”. Is the timer MA-T51-WH a solid-state control device? , and if it is the case, what other countdown timer or switch can I use? The reason why I want to use this type the timer is because the timer starts counting down until time out is reached, all 5 LED’s go off and the connected load turns OFF.

I want to use the Timer only to turn Off/On the fan, no to control the fan’s speed.

I will appreciate any help in advanced.

Thank you.
    Technical Specifications
    Countdown Timer
    MA-T51 120 V~ 60 Hz, 5 A, (600 W) max.

Inline Fan
    FV-40NLF1 120 V~60 Hz, 1.1 Amps, (132 W), Speed (RPM) 1150.

Re: Inline Ventilation Fan HELP

This is what I would use. Spring wound.

http://www.intermatic.com/products/t...%20timers.aspx
    Attached Files
    Licensed Electrician

Comment

Re: Inline Ventilation Fan HELP

Originally posted by sunpalm View Post
      I bought a Lutron Maestro Electronic Push Button timer MA-T51-WH that I want to use with an Inline fan. The fan is from Panasonic Model FV-40NLF1, but the instructions from Panasonic said “do not use this unit with any SOLID-STATE CONTRO DEVICE”. Is the timer MA-T51-WH a solid-state control device? , and if it is the case, what other countdown timer or switch can I use? The reason why I want to use this type the timer is because the timer starts counting down until time out is reached, all 5 LED’s go off and the connected load turns OFF.

I want to use the Timer only to turn Off/On the fan, no to control the fan’s speed.

I will appreciate any help in advanced.

Thank you.
      Technical Specifications
      Countdown Timer
      MA-T51 120 V~ 60 Hz, 5 A, (600 W) max.

Inline Fan
      FV-40NLF1 120 V~60 Hz, 1.1 Amps, (132 W), Speed (RPM) 1150.
      Yes it looks like it is solid state. One giveaway is that the manufacturer says it's for use with incandescent only. The solid state units very still keep a little voltage on the line even when off, and this will often mess up flourescents and is often enough to keep LEDs on, even when the timer is off. So yes I would bet that this one is solid state. I don't know if it would be a problem with the motor on your fan, but I wouldn't do it without talking to Panasonic.

I put in a Broan vent fan that has a built-in timer and night light, and also a humidity sensor. Nice unit (so far) and runs very quiet. I wanted the night light part to come on automatically, so I wired it to a programmable wall timer (Leviton) that calculated dawn and dusk and turned the light on and off. Very slick, I thought.

This worked great until I changed the night light bulb to one of the newfangled LED lights. The LED never turned off!

I wanted the LED (lasts a long time -- I am too lazy to always be changing burnt out bulbs) so I ended up yanking the fancy electronic timer and putting in a photocell controlled switch, pointed more or less at the bathroom window. Now the night light comes on when it gets dark and goes off when it gets light.

Comment

Working...
      X