Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 120V connection from residential 240V

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
    kh. what color are the conductors in you circuit? what people have done around here is mark white wire with black tape for wh. breid.............
    you are right. It was black and most of time I have seen black and red. However, I meant black and red which I saw sometimes.

Is black and red wires without white available? except running through a conduit.

I may saw 10/3AWG or 12/3AWG and cut out white wire to connect 240V electrical heater.

Anyways, thank you very much for your replay.

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
      Thats true. Usually. But when someone tells me they have a 10/2 cable without a white I automatically knew it has to be red, black and bare. Thats all it can be.
      Yes. I meant black, red and bare wires.

Comment

Typically in the US a water heater is wired with a 10-2 w/ground cable (or equivalent in conduit). The wires are colored black and white, the white remarked to black to show it is a hot conductor. It is certainly code compliant to remove the coloring from the white wire and using it as a neutral. This assumes you replace the circuit breaker with a single pole 20 amp and install a 20 amp receptacle.

The OP's follow up post saying "your code" leads me to believe he is not in the US. Commonly in Canada a 240 Volt circuit would use a 10-2 cable with black and red colors. According to the NEC you cannot remark a small gauge conductor, but I am not sure of the Canadian code. Might have to ask Red Green if he has any white duct tape

Comment

This assumes you replace the circuit breaker with a single pole 20 amp and install a 20 amp receptacle.

Yes. It wanted to replace from double pole single through (two 120V, 240V) to sigle pole single through (120V).

Comment

Working...
          X