X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junction Boxes

I'm finishing half my basement and currently all the lights in the whole basement are on one circuit. In the finished area, I put a closet around my water tank and I wanted to put a switched light in there. Since the whole basement lights are all on one circuit, I also will need to separate the lights in my workshop area as they are turned on by the switch in the finished area. The current set is that the wire coming from the panel goes to my basement smoke detector and from their it goes to a 3 way switch in the finished area. I have two wires coming off the this switch. One 14/3 wire goes to a newly installed 4 way switch and a 14/2 wire goes to the first light and then it branches off to the other 4 lights down in the whole basement.

My question is can I install a junction box on the wire going from the panel to the smoke detector and send one wire to the closet light and another wire to my workshop or should I just install a new circuit for the closet and workshop. I have plenty of breakers and wire and all the wires are exposed. I thought about installing a new circuit, but it seems like a waste for a few lights, but if that would be the correct way to do than I will go that route.

Re: Junction Boxes

Well, since you have spare breakers and wire, just run a new circuit to the new closet and shop . Leave existing wiring as is. While your at it ,run some new circuits for receptacles in the shop, can never have too many. just my opinion.
    Huck.

Comment

If I add the new circuit, how do i go about running two different switched lights off the same circuit? My fuse panel is located in the closet with the water tank so that would be the first one to get wired.

Comment

I am not trying to be smart azz here but if your so limited on your knowledge of electrical wiring as how to get two different lights off of one circuit, then I strongly suggest you get some one who does know how to do that, to help you out, and I am going to suggest a licensed electrician.

I am not saying your not capable of doing the hands on work, but your dealing with things that can electrocute you and burn your house down if not done with some of the proper parts and methods, but I suggest you use this as learning experience and watch or be the helper in this instance.

the NEC Code book is a full inch thick +, of two sides of 9 1/2" by 11" pages, electrical wiring is not something that one can easily learn or safely do from a few hundred word, description from a web site or a forum board.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Den69RS96 View Post
          If I add the new circuit, how do i go about running two different switched lights off the same circuit? My fuse panel is located in the closet with the water tank so that would be the first one to get wired.
          Well first of all i must agree with BHD,sounds like u have no clue what to do. Hire a qualified electrician.
          Second, why would u build a closet where your electric panel is located?
          An electric panel is not allowed in a closet because of clearance issues,and accessabilty issues. I can just imagine having to lean over a hot water tank to work in the panel.

Comment

Make that three that vote for "hire someone". Nothing personal.

PS.......Hey, try this forum. Someone there may help you. Good luck. http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/
            Licensed Electrician

Comment

In the finished area, I put a closet around my water tank ...
              There could be code compliance issues here too, and they are not just minor issues. Combustion air volume to the WH if it burns gas or oil, concern over proper venting come into question also.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

sounds like one of customers. i love it when panel is blocked with, use you imagination here. breid.................

Comment

When my house was built 5 years ago, they put the water tank from the well and my water softner right next to the fuse panel. The panel is not directly on top of the tank, but to the side of it. I had nothing to do with placement of the tank or fuse panel and I didn't move either when I framed out the basement. My oil furnance and hot water tank is on the other side of the basement, so there shouldn't be any fumes in the closet. I really didn't want to have a water tank and softner visible in my finished basement so I built a 5x5 closet around it. Plenty of room to work on anything in there.

I won't be the one digging into the panel, just running the wire and buying and extra parts. I like to be prepared so when the day comes to add the circuit where not wasting time heading to the store. I know my skills right now are limited to wiring up an additional outlet or two or moving a switch, but I didn't think it was such a big deal to ask a question and learn a thing or two. Sorry I asked.
                  Last edited by Den69RS96; 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM.

Comment

When the guy comes to do the work ask them about the smoke detector circuit, some codes require them to be on their own circuit.

Comment

Another vote for the "please hire a professional"

Comment

Working...
                      X