Junction Box In Ceiling of Shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junction Box In Ceiling of Shower

Is a junction box allowed in the ceiling of a shower? I am replacing a bath fan in the downstairs bathroom. The existing wiring is just a bit short to make the connection to the new fan. Because of other pipes etc, running through the ceiling I can't move the fan closer to the wire. So Iwas thinking about putting in a junction box to connect the existing wire to some new wire.

Re: Junction Box In Ceiling of Shower

Yes, But you are going to have a blank cover showing on the ceiling. You can keep the j-box but it must remain accessible. That means a cover with a gasket to keep water out. Actually, I am not sure about the gasket, but I am sure about the cover.
    Licensed Electrician

Comment

What about an AMP connector?

Comment

Is there an attic? Then you could flip the box and jbox it in the attic. Otherwise its not legal to bury a box.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          What about an AMP connector?
          I think those are only for modular homes, not conventional homes.

Originally posted by Dierte View Post
          Is there an attic? Then you could flip the box and jbox it in the attic. Otherwise its not legal to bury a box.
          That is a very good idea. Hide the box while still allowing access. If he has the over head room.
          Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
            I think those are only for modular homes, not conventional homes.

That is a very good idea. Hide the box while still allowing access. If he has the over head room.

Not only are they for mobile homes, they cannot be buried in new work.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. There is no attic, so I did do the junction box with a waterproof cover.

Comment

Originally posted by McClary's Electrical View Post
                Not only are they for mobile homes, they cannot be buried in new work.
                I said modular home not mobile home. The difference is huge.
                Licensed Electrician

Comment

Don't ask me to explain this, I still cannot find a good answer: My daughter bought a home last year which was built in 1987. Every room in the home, every room, has a junction box right smack in the middle of the ceiling. The every switch and outlet is fed via this junction box. It may have passed code in '87. On top of that (no pun intended) all ceilings were sprayed with popcorn and the jb covers were sprayed over, really good. While trouble shooting a problem in one room, no attic access, I had one heck of a time until I noticed the faint outline of the jb. Once I found the box, which contained the feed from the panel all went well. So-was the junction box considered accessible or not? David

Comment

yes

you found it and opened it. you should be happy they didn't spray the box full of popcorn or paint. breid...................

Comment

Working...
                    X