8' Fluorescent Lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8' Fluorescent Lights

I have in my shop two 8’ fluorescent light fixtures that have never seemed to work right ever since I installed them (metal shop building). I have never had all 4 bulbs burning at once. I can only get one bulb per light to burn and it’s not the same bulb every time. I have 12-2 wire running from a 20 amp breaker not only to burn the lights but also some wall sockets. They do this even when nothing else is running. I had heard that fluorescent lights don’t like the cold but they do this even in the summer. What could possibly be wrong? I thought maybe the ballasts but when the bulbs alternate burning, I give up. I have replaced the bulbs many times. On the side that burns the least on both fixtures that bulb will turn black on the ends rather quickly (within a month) any help would be appreciated.

Re: 8' Fluorescent Lights

Originally posted by Dondi12 View Post
    I have in my shop two 8’ fluorescent light fixtures that have never seemed to work right ever since I installed them (metal shop building). I have never had all 4 bulbs burning at once. I can only get one bulb per light to burn and it’s not the same bulb every time. I have 12-2 wire running from a 20 amp breaker not only to burn the lights but also some wall sockets. They do this even when nothing else is running. I had heard that fluorescent lights don’t like the cold but they do this even in the summer. What could possibly be wrong? I thought maybe the ballasts but when the bulbs alternate burning, I give up. I have replaced the bulbs many times. On the side that burns the least on both fixtures that bulb will turn black on the ends rather quickly (within a month) any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like you have a magnetic ballast t12 that has partial bad windings. The government outlawed thes for their unreliabilty and waste of energy. Do yourself a favor and get an 8' T8 fixture w/ electronic ballast. They'll knock your eyes out.I recommend a 5100k color spectrum for a workshop or warehouse.

Comment

Re: 8' Fluorescent Lights

Remove the lamps, take the cover from the ballast area, and look at the wiring diagram.
      Some 8' fixtures require that you have the correct ends opposite of each other to work.
      Others do not care witch ends are opposite each other.

Comment

Working...
      X