X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don murtha new member

Last night we had a power brown out @ 3:am I thought I was lucky my older son was up and noticed the brown out and shut the main breaker off with in a minute but not fast enough. We lost a new $1200.00 microwave convection oven. What I want to do is install a surge protector at the main. I have look at HD & Lowes for surge protectors and only find surge protector strips but I would like to buy one for the box. Can anyone tell me were you purchace wholehouse surge protectors and are they hard to install on my breaker box? Thanks in advance Don

Re: Don murtha new member

Talk to your power company. They will install them here for free but you pay a very reasonable monthly charge for the suppressor.
    They also stand behind the protection, similar to insurance.

Your local electrical contractor can also install this for you. Get a couple estimates.

Ps..............A pleasure to meet you Mr. Murtha
    Licensed Electrician

Comment

I would also talk to the power company about their responsibility for any damaged electrical appliances. We recently had a power surge in a line in our area. The power company paid to replace my newphew's furnace electronics, washer and dryer, a couple of TV's, a computer and a few other items.....Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        I would also talk to the power company about their responsibility for any damaged electrical appliances. We recently had a power surge in a line in our area. The power company paid to replace my newphew's furnace electronics, washer and dryer, a couple of TV's, a computer and a few other items.....Ray

This is true, I've seen several times a bad connection on the grouned conductor cause a voltage imbalance frying evrything with electronics on the high phase. Once you give them a wriiten statement from an electrician, they'll normally reimburse.

Comment

Working...
        X