Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Wiring

Hi,
    I am a structural engineer who knows very little in the electrical wiring word. We are having a problem with our TV cable wiring inside the house.
    Our house was recently in (2007), the previous owner has finished the basement. We installed a satellite dish (free to air dish), however we could not find the box to which the satellite cable should be connected (from outside the house).
    It looks like that the previous owner has unknowingly covered that box in the basement where all the TV wirings are exiting the house (covered it by dry wall). Inside the house we checked all the TV outlets and the black TV cable is running as it should.
    We need help to trace the TV wiring from a TV outlet inside the basement to the point where it is exiting the house.

Re: TV Wiring

Originally posted by nayal View Post
    Hi,
    I am a structural engineer who knows very little in the electrical wiring word. We are having a problem with our TV cable wiring inside the house.
    Our house was recently in (2007), the previous owner has finished the basement. We installed a satellite dish (free to air dish), however we could not find the box to which the satellite cable should be connected (from outside the house).
    It looks like that the previous owner has unknowingly covered that box in the basement where all the TV wirings are exiting the house (covered it by dry wall). Inside the house we checked all the TV outlets and the black TV cable is running as it should.
    We need help to trace the TV wiring from a TV outlet inside the basement to the point where it is exiting the house.
    I would use an inductive amplifier to trace wires, just an example:
    http://www.all-spec.com/products/P620K.html

Comment

Hi,
      Can't you just pull new coax? Often it's the easiest and fastest way. Couple of holes in the drywall... no big deal to repair. You could spend hours fooling with it, and then you'll find that the old cable might not be located where you need it to be for your new setup, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
        Can't you just pull new coax? Often it's the easiest and fastest way. Couple of holes in the drywall... no big deal to repair. You could spend hours fooling with it, and then you'll find that the old cable might not be located where you need it to be for your new setup, anyway.
        If i understand right, you meant to dig in the hole a hole and put the box, however the cable will be connected to that location only, it will not be connected to the TV connections in other rooms.

Comment

I strongly suggest you run new coax.
          Use RG6-u QUAD
          This is double shielded coax designed for TODAY'S digital high definition TV. A typical 250 foot roll is around $40.00

Old coax RG6 or RG59 will not provide you with any quality signal.
          Typically in 2007 cable companies ran RG6 or RG59 and used crappy F connectors which were likely never crimped properly.

Use the new compression type F connectors and the proper coax stripper and compression tool crimper.

Do this only one time and you'll thank me later.

As far as routing signals to different room. Yes you can do that but be sure to use the correct splitters that can carry signals to 3ghz, and signal amplifiers.

Do it right the first time and you'll have years of trouble free TV reception.

Cactus Man

Comment

If i understand right, you meant to dig in the hole a hole and put the box, however the cable will be connected to that location only, it will not be connected to the TV connections in other rooms.
            I may not be understanding your problem correctly... your words "dig in the hole a hole and put the box" are not clear to me.

From your dish you usually run cable to a ground block, usually mounted close to the electrical service and/or ground rod. Then you bring the cable into the house, maybe a downconverter/maybe not depending on the system, into splitters and/or amplifiers, then to the some sort of receiver "box" at each tv location. So yes you would have to run new cable to each desired TV location.

If you don't want to do this and you're still on terrestrial cable, call the cable company and have them come out and find their cable.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
              I strongly suggest you run new coax.
              Use RG6-u QUAD
              This is double shielded coax designed for TODAY'S digital high definition TV. A typical 250 foot roll is around $40.00

Old coax RG6 or RG59 will not provide you with any quality signal.
              Typically in 2007 cable companies ran RG6 or RG59 and used crappy F connectors which were likely never crimped properly.

Use the new compression type F connectors and the proper coax stripper and compression tool crimper.

Do this only one time and you'll thank me later.
              Definitely, use compression instead of crimp fittings, it is much easier to get them right. The tool is a bit spendy ($60), but it is worth it to get the connections done correctly.

I reran all my cable wires after I started getting bad reception. Turns out that a squirrel ate through the cable near the pole; so it wasn't necessarily required, but at least it was fun.

Cablevision has been doing compression fittings since at least 2006 when I moved last time; but I do know that in 2004 they were doing crimps.

Comment

It's alot like automotive wiring. Why dig or hunt when you can just add a new one. Much easier and saves time.
                Licensed Electrician

Comment

Here I am again with good news. FINALLY, we hired an electrician and he guessed where the wires might be, made a hole in the basement wall and found the bunch of the TV wiring. He made a hole in the brick to get the wires to the outside.
                  Now, my next question is that:

We have 5 wires that are coming to the outside of the house. We are interested in having a kind of a box on the outside wall of the house, to which the five wires will be connected. The purpose is to be able to easily switch the satellite cable from one room to the other by unscrewing the satellite cable from one slot and screw it to the other. Does any one know where I can find such a box and what is it called.

Thanks

Comment

Try this place for your distribution panel.
                    But if it were me, now that you have it exposed, I would move all of the interconnections inside with only the two satellite feeds going through the outside wall. It would be much more convenient to switch feeds and you wouldn't need to get a waterproof enclosure.

http://www.techmall.com/Splitters-Co...nels-s/188.htm
                    Last edited by DSurette; 05-14-2010, 10:05 AM.
                    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Frankly your question puzzles me. Why would you have to switch cables outside to turn on satellite in a bedroom or any other room in the house.

I have directV and I have two receivers. One in the living room and the other in our bedroom. I just turn on the TV in either room and watch anything I want. My wife can watch what she wants in the living room. We have the master bedroom connected to the living room receiver. We have the grandkids room connected to our bedroom receiver. That's four TV's with one dish and two receiver cables. I could install 20 more TVs and not have to touch one more cable. I have a cable jack in each room. Why not call your satelite company, or are you trying to get free satelight?
                      It sounds like all you need to do is find the wire coming from the dish and connect it to splitter input. Then connect the wires going to rooms to the splitter (output). Then every room has TV service.

There is no reason to ever have to unscrew a cable. They make things just for this. They are called splitters. $3.00 - $6.00 each. They also sell amplifiers for weak signals and pretty much anything you could ever imagine.
                      But, I just realized you are an engineer and its in your nature to complicate the most rudimentary applications.
                      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                      X