Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric to my shed.

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
    No glue? Pushing is easier? You are being tongue-in-cheek I hope. Either that or all that wire you "pushed" never encountered a bend, or maybe those many miles were done 10 feet at a time.

Who suggested using UF in conduit? UF is direct burial wire. Why would anyone pay for UF and then put it in conduit?

THHN is not for wet locations like buried conduit. You need THWN or dual rated THHN/THWN.

No glue, that's right. Why glue it, it's doesn't have to hold pressure,and it's not going anywhere.

I've pushed solid thhn through emt a lot further than 10'. As long as you keep the 90's to minimum it's a piece of cake. Just goes to show you haven't run many feet of pipe or you would know that. All bets off with stranded. You can't push it with a Mack truck. Also a lot safer and cleaner to push. Than getting your fish tape into a hot bus bar in a panel. or pulling soap on yourself and your tools.
    Don't know about the THHN/THWN I'll take your word for it. I've slept since I ran my underground service to my shop back in 88. So far it's held up fine, no shorts, opens, nada nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by daman View Post
      I wouldn't know where to look and i don't care if you believe me or not,thats what was explained to me when i did my garden shed so thats what i did,my ground is very stony here so i wanted conduit vs direct burial.
      Ah... so you don't *really* know if it is compliant, you were just TOLD it's compliant?

NEC says it's not. Please don't believe me. Look it up yourself, your local library probably has a copy.

Please let me know if you do find local codes that say it is.

But no matter what... NM in conduit is a hack. Even in dry locations. That is pure opinion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by James P View Post
        No glue, that's right. Why glue it, it's doesn't have to hold pressure,and it's not going anywhere.

I've pushed solid thhn through emt a lot further than 10'. As long as you keep the 90's to minimum it's a piece of cake. Just goes to show you haven't run many feet of pipe or you would know that. All bets off with stranded. You can't push it with a Mack truck. Also a lot safer and cleaner to push. Than getting your fish tape into a hot bus bar in a panel. or pulling soap on yourself and your tools.
        Don't know about the THHN/THWN I'll take your word for it. I've slept since I ran my underground service to my shop back in 88. So far it's held up fine, no shorts, opens, nada nothing.
        Let's see. You told the OP to put conduit over his romex in a direct burial application. You don't glue your conduit. You are apparently unaware that THWN is the right single conductor wire. You push your wire rather than pull it. And you think that a sane person would poke his fishtape into a hot panel.

So, in your mind, I must not have done much.

Okey-dokey.

Comment

wow guys, I didn't realize this would be a hot debate. I want to do it to code. theres no such thing as a license outside of the city I commute to every day, so hiring a professional is a shot in the dark, especially since I don't actually know any of my neighbors to ask if they have a trusted electrician, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the guy I did ask.

so from an NEC standpoint, 2 foot bury of 1" pvc, will I want stranded or solid 10 guage wire? on a GFCI breaker. I'll backfill with gravel with the foil marking tape about 6" down.

Both building penetrations are going to be above ground, I don't want to drill through my foundation below grade. should only be two 90's the one pointing up at both ends.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Personally, I would run 2" with a talk wire, coax for tv and a 3/8 rope drag line for future! Gotta have a drag line!

Now if you really want to keep water out, tap the pvc for an air valve and seal the ends. Pressure it up to about 12lbs and check for leaks with an air guage before burying.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              wow guys, I didn't realize this would be a hot debate. I want to do it to code. theres no such thing as a license outside of the city I commute to every day, so hiring a professional is a shot in the dark, especially since I don't actually know any of my neighbors to ask if they have a trusted electrician, and I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from the guy I did ask.

so from an NEC standpoint, 2 foot bury of 1" pvc, will I want stranded or solid 10 guage wire? on a GFCI breaker. I'll backfill with gravel with the foil marking tape about 6" down.

Both building penetrations are going to be above ground, I don't want to drill through my foundation below grade. should only be two 90's the one pointing up at both ends.
              Use solid 10 guage THWN or dual-rated THHN/THWN. Most of the THHN, such as you find at Lowe's or Home Depot, is dual rated.

If you think you will need 240V out there, now's the best time to pull the other wire. You can do it later, too, but now would be easier, if it's within the budget.

When you order the gravel, make sure to get smooth stones not the jagged-edge drain rock. I actually prefer sand fill 3-4 inches below the conduit and at least 6" above the top of the conduit. But fine, smooth gravel should work fine.

I haven't been laying the caution tape in the trench but it's a great idea, easy insurance, and I sure will be doing that from now on.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Personally, I would run 2" with a talk wire, coax for tv and a 3/8 rope drag line for future! Gotta have a drag line!

Now if you really want to keep water out, tap the pvc for an air valve and seal the ends. Pressure it up to about 12lbs and check for leaks with an air guage before burying.
                Just remember, If you do that you need to have some separation between the electric and communications wires. I don't know the code on this, but do know it is not OK to mix 120V and LV wiring.

Comment

I'd need a bigger shed for 240v. lol. this really is just a 10x12 garden shed that has the room I need for a deep freeze. and since I plan to put a lot of what I get from my garden in it, I don't want to need to worry about the wiring.

I'll be edging my mower, smoker, wheelbarrow and other odds and ends over to make room. but i'd rather crowd it than the car in the garage.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                    Ah... so you don't *really* know if it is compliant, you were just TOLD it's compliant?

NEC says it's not. Please don't believe me. Look it up yourself, your local library probably has a copy.

Please let me know if you do find local codes that say it is.

But no matter what... NM in conduit is a hack. Even in dry locations. That is pure opinion, though.
                    LOL i do know,geeze!!

The guy at the court house that handles the local codes/permits explained it,then upon completion i had to call the inspector in,that was 12 years ago,no problems to date,i better start digging it up then huh and do it your way?

Comment

Doesn't matter solid or stranded will work. you say it's only 40ft with two 90 degree bends?You can propably push solid in that distance(tape the hot,neutral,and ground wires together and put a lil dab of dish soap on the end). << old indian trick
                      Good luck

Huck

Comment

LOL i do know,geeze!!

The guy at the court house that handles the local codes/permits explained it,then upon completion i had to call the inspector in,that was 12 years ago,no problems to date,i better start digging it up then huh and do it your way?
                        Good luck with it, I sincerely hope you never have a lick of trouble. It may well outlast us both, and I hope it does.

But I *recommend* you think twice about advising others to put NM in buried conduit. It's a violation of the NEC. There are reasons why.

Comment

There are no inspections in the county I live in
                          I want to do it to code.
                          Are you shooting for code or not?

Comment

i'm shooting for code, I mentioned the lack of inspections so I wouldn't be told to ask the inspector what he wanted. Normally that'd be the best answer.

as it stands, I live here, I want it right.

Are you shooting for code or not?

Comment

Just bury a nice drop cord.

J.C.

Comment

I've seen that! woman had a cord buried out to her above ground pool. her GFCI kept popping and the pool was on her leach field.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                Just bury a nice drop cord.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X