Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220V stove wiring

Hi all,
    First post here. I am going to purchase a replacement stove with a 7.4kw @240 V requirement. It uses a NEMA 14-50 plug. The current stove uses a 20A breaker in each leg of the circuit and is wired with 8 ga. When I do the math for the new stove, I get ~30A @240V. Does that mean that each hot leg of the circuit needs a 30A breaker?
    Thanks
    Jonathan

Re: 220V stove wiring

i live in indiana. if you were here we would put in a 50a 2 pole breaker. are you 2 20a breakers side by side? if so take them with you and go buy the proper breaker. is this job going to be permitted? if so ask inspector. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by summilux View Post
      Hi all,
      First post here. I am going to purchase a replacement stove with a 7.4kw @240 V requirement. It uses a NEMA 14-50 plug. The current stove uses a 20A breaker in each leg of the circuit and is wired with 8 ga. When I do the math for the new stove, I get ~30A @240V. Does that mean that each hot leg of the circuit needs a 30A breaker?
      Thanks
      Jonathan
      Your new stove requires a 40 amp 2 pole breaker. NEC 240-3(b). Number 8 wire is good on a 40 amp breaker. NEC Art. 310.16. 60 degree chart. (Romex) NM.
      Formula - 7.4kw x 1000 = 7400 Watts. 7400 watts divided by 240 = 30.83 Amps. So your wire size is fine, but you should install a 40 amp 2 pole breaker. You cannot install a 50 amp breaker if you have NM (Romex 60c) wire. The 50 amp cord and plug on the stove (range) can be combined with a 50 amp receptacle like you mention in your post.

You are lucky to have #8 wire, as a 20 amp circuit only requires #12.
      Are you in the US.?

If the stove is listed for a 50 amp circuit then you must use a 50 amp circuit. The KW you post is only 30.83 amps. Double check. Something does not sound right.
      Last edited by John Valdes; 05-12-2010, 07:48 PM.
      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by John Valdes View Post
        You are lucky to have #8 wire, as a 20 amp circuit only requires #12.
        Are you in the US.?

If the stove is listed for a 50 amp circuit then you must use a 50 amp circuit. The KW you post is only 30.83 amps. Double check. Something does not sound right.
        I am happy to have #8. The previous owner of out house did somethings really right with his renovation. The kitchen has 5 separate circuits (one each for fridge, DW, microwave, outlets and then lights). Other things are really sketchy: 2nd floor Jacuzzi has an extension cord dropped through the framing and then plugged into the basement workshop room. He also tiled the DW into the countertop!

I am mystified as to why the new stove has a 50A plug on it. There is no need for it.

I'm in Canada (Ontario) if that matters.

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by summilux View Post
          I am happy to have #8.

I am mystified as to why the new stove has a 50A plug on it. There is no need for it.

I'm in Canada (Ontario) if that matters.

Jonathan
          The reason for a 50 amp plug, is they don't make a 30 amp plug for a range.
          You can get a 30 amp plug for a dryer, or a 50 for the range.

Comment

Working...
          X