power draw on appliances affect whole house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: power draw on appliances affect whole house

Virtually all the outlets in my house are wired that way, except for the kitchen. The top of all the outlets in my living room and bedrooms are controlled by a light switch, the bottom half are not. They are run on separate circuits.
    I have never seen a GFCI that was splittable. Do you Canadians use GFCI breakers for the kitchen instead of GFCI outlets?
    Does the method for splitting circuits and using 14-3 share the same neutral? That does not sound like a good idea and wouldn't it also create havoc with any kind of GFCI as the current on the hot legs and neutrals would not be balanced? Just trying to educate myself with all these questions!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
      Virtually all the outlets in my house are wired that way, except for the kitchen. The top of all the outlets in my living room and bedrooms are controlled by a light switch, the bottom half are not. They are run on separate circuits.
      I have never seen a GFCI that was splittable. Do you Canadians use GFCI breakers for the kitchen instead of GFCI outlets?
      Does the method for splitting circuits and using 14-3 share the same neutral? That does not sound like a good idea and wouldn't it also create havoc with any kind of GFCI as the current on the hot legs and neutrals would not be balanced? Just trying to educate myself with all these questions!
      Receptacles that are half switched does not mean the top and bottom are on separate circuits, but they could be. Usually this is done so you can turn on a table lamp from a switch, or there are no ceiling fixtures. This is just for convenience and by no means a requirement.
      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Mine are on separate breakers - found that out while changing an outlet. Flipped breakers until my wife hollered that the table lamp went out - luckily I checked with my DVOM and found 1/2 the outlet was hot!

I was just curious as to how you would work GFI's into the scenario where the outlets were split in the kitchen. Other than using GFI breakers which are not very common here. Most of the newer homes have one or two GFI outlets in the kitchen. Mine has none, (1984 home) so I am debating whether or not to put GFI breakers on the kitchen outlet circuits, or try and identify the first outlets in the chains and put them there.

Comment

Here in the US it is PERFECTLY acceptable to have 2 seperate circuits on one duplex outlet. The caveat is that the 2 circuits must have a bar across the 2 breakers (like a 220 breaker) so that both circuits go down at the same time. In the case of a switched outlet it is the same circuit. Now, in the US we are NOT allowed using #14 wire for kitchen small appliance outlets, it must be #12 (20A) circuits. A 3 wire shared nuetral circuit is also acceptable however one MUST be aware of making sure the 2 circuits are on seperate phases on the panel so as not to overload the nuetral. Once the 2 circuits are split and GFCI OUTLETS are used, this is NOT a problem however on such a 3 wire circuit, a GFCI BREAKER can not be used at the panel!!! Although many electricians do not like using shared nuetral circuits for a number of reasons, it is OK to do. Many like using them because it saves pulling some added wire for homeruns. I have seen homes built in complexes with numerous 3 wire circuits. Fast and cheap. Other homes without a single one used. More labor and more expensive but probably a better job for sure. It is stuff like this that makes estimates on jobs worlds apart.

Comment

I with that Hosh would come back and post updates on this thread.

Comment

Working...
            X