No announcement yet.

10/3 wire for a subpanel

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/3 wire for a subpanel

I live in Ontario,Canada.
    I have a oversized shed about 40 feet from the house and I want to install lights and plugs and maybe 220 volts in future for a compressor. My house main panel is a 20 - S.P. 125 Amp Type Q Load Centre 120-240 Volts AC 1 phase 3 wire. My friend suggest me to run a 3-10 wire from the house to the shed incase i want 220 volt in the future in the shed for a compressor etc... He also suggest me a sub-panel inside the shed. He also says that a 20 Amp would be enough. Inside the shed there will be 5 lights , 5 plugs for now. Now what do you suggest me. Thank You in advance for your comments.

Re: 10/3 wire for a subpanel

Since your in Canada, I can only hope to be of some help.
    In the US, you MUST run 4 wires to the unattached shed. (NEC 2008). H-H-N-G. In my opinion a 30 amp sub panel is a waste of time. We MUST use at minimum a 70 amp main breaker sub panel in this application.
    I would pull #6 for the H-H-N and #10 for the Ground.
    Go to your big box store and pick out a new main breaker sub panel. Don't be concerned if the best buy is a 100 amp sub with breaker. You can use this 100 amp panel on a 50/60/70 amp feeder if you like. Just make sure you use the right breaker in the main panel to protect the feeder and the sub panel at the structure.
    Licensed Electrician

Re: 10/3 wire for a subpanel

Welcome Den66
      Good advice from John.
      John, a few more Canadian quirks ...
      Any wire up here listed as XX/3 (10/3, 8/3, 6/3 etc) contains black red white and bare.
      We can run a 20A sub but really like you said - waist of time.
      I have run 8/3 for a 40A sub in the past and that allowed for a 4800W electric heater and a couple of tools with lights in the winter.
      Since you are considering a 220V compressor in the future keep in mind that these generally have big motors, mine requires its own 240 - 20A circuit, what about a welder and the all important beer fridge?
      Since you only want to do this once buy the 6/3 as John suggests.
      Pull a permit so you have all the required info to do this safely and a job done right will always pass inspection