X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy 220 question

I have a device (table saw) that requires a 220V connection. It has a NEMA 6-15 plug on the end. I understand that I put in a 15 AMP double pole breaker in the box, but my question is can I use a two wire? Take a white wire (put black electrical tape on it) and put it on one side and then take the black and put it on the other side and connect the bare copper wire (obviously) to the green copper connection?

This is for a garage application, typically it would require a ground fault, but I understand if it’s a dedicated circuit I don’t need the ground fault.

I would like to be able to plug the table saw in two different locations in the garage, would it be permissible to put the outlets in parallel (one of each side of the garage) without a ground fault?

Thanks,

marly

Re: Easy 220 question

I'm not an electrician but how can this be considered a dedicated circuit if you have two outlets which would allow anything to be plugged in/connected to the circuit? I think that to be considered a dedicated circuit it would have to be hard-wired (no plug), but that is just my guess.
    If you have to buy the breaker then just get the GFCI breaker, yes, it costs more, but you're worth it.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You can use the white, black and bare for the 230 volt circuit if the table saw is listed 230 volts. If it's listed as 120/230 you need four wires. Mark the white with black tape or Magic marker.
      No GFCI required.
      The extra receptacle is fine also.
      Licensed Electrician

Comment

Actually in this case you should put RED tape over the white wire and on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Actually in this case you should put RED tape over the white wire and on both ends.
          Why? Do you like red better than black?
          Licensed Electrician

Comment

purple. breid.................

Comment

Any color but white or gray or green!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X