X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green wire?

I was in a house today under construction. Drywall was not put up yet and I was just looking around. I was interested in the low voltage data and catv wire and how they ran it because I am in the proccess of running some in my house. I saw the 2 cat 5e wires running to each room. I know that these are for the ethernet and phone lines. I was looking for coax too but what I saw was a green insulated wire about the size and shape of coax but it had a smaller wire green insulated wire attached to it. What is that? I asked some one and they said they thought it was for hi def tv. It ran to each room so I do figure it was for tv but i had never seen or heard of it before. I did a quick google search but could not find anything about it. I would like to find out because I have not yet run all my tv cable yet and if there is something better I would prefer that. Anyone ever seen that before?

Re: Green wire?

Did it look like this? This type (aerial) is for running from the pole to the building. the extra wire (messenger) is what actually attached to the pole/building and holds up the coax. It's sometimes used in place of regular coax if supplies are running low.

But...the green you mention makes me think of a ground wire. The system should be grounded. Normally at the splitter in the service box. I've never seen coax that carried it's own ground but it's been a good number of years since I was an installer.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post

Did it look like this? This type (aerial) is for running from the pole to the building. the extra wire (messenger) is what actually attached to the pole/building and holds up the coax. It's sometimes used in place of regular coax if supplies are running low.

But...the green you mention makes me think of a ground wire. The system should be grounded. Normally at the splitter in the service box. I've never seen coax that carried it's own ground but it's been a good number of years since I was an installer.
      Yup. It looks like that except green insulation on both cables instead of black. So you are saying that the small wire attached is for holding up the coax. You mean like from an outside antenna? Now I am really confused as to why that would run in side the walls. One thing I want to add is that I did not see the very end of the cable. The ends were cut square asnd looped with some slack but I am pretty sure it is coax.

Comment

Yeah, the messanger would allow it to hang from a service pole and connect to someones house without putting strain on the actual cable. It's always black when ran from a pole to a house. Maybe the kind you saw is flooded (like an underground cable which is usually orange or yellow) orrrrrr maybe its a type of plenum (fire supressed) cable. But it looks like green ground jacket.... I'd like to see a pic.

Comment

Thank you Alajeff. I wish i did have a pic of that cable. But let me ask you or anyone out there a question, now that I have all my new coax ran to all the rooms in my house. I canceled the cable tv because I was just getting basic cable and found I could get the same thing for free over the air. I installed an antenna in the attic. It is a Winegard amplified GS-2200. I also installed a video splitter module (picture attached). The directions for the antenna say it should be grounded to the Power service grounding system. But I think that is only if it is installed outside where it can be hit by lightning. Mine is in the attic. If I do need grounding, I thought maybe I could just attach the incoming catv coax to one of the extra connection on the video splitter. The incoming catv coax is dead but it is still grounded to the house grounding system. Do I need any other surge protection? I am a real amatuer DIYer so any and all advice is welcome. BTW, this antenna is great! I get about 40 channels with it and they are crystal clear.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey!
            Don't ask these guys about television; all they do is surf the Web. :P
            Check out this site. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81
            I ditched my basic cable last year, installed an antenna on my roof, and have saved a bundle. The folks on the Digital Home forum are right into everything antennas. It was a huge help when I was setting up my gear.
            I must say, the uncompressed over the air signal quality is vastly superior to both satellite and cable.

Comment

Working...
            X