X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexagon Ground Screw

Why are the ground screws on receptacles hexagon? Does anyone switch from a screwdriver to a nut driver to tighten them. It seems that a Robertson screwdriver should be adequate to tighten them.

Re: Hexagon Ground Screw

I have never use a nut driver to tighten the ground screw.
    I do use the ten in one from klien that woudl allow me that option without changing tools.

Comment

What bugs me is when they make the grounding screw a straight slot while every other screw on the fixture is phillips.

Comment

nut drivers sometimes slip off because off the camfer on the nut driver. it lets lose on the screw when driver hits the ground wire. i took one of my drivers and ground face flat. works for me. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
          Why are the ground screws on receptacles hexagon? Does anyone switch from a screwdriver to a nut driver to tighten them. It seems that a Robertson screwdriver should be adequate to tighten them.
          I agree with the post about the Klein 1-in-10 driver. If you do any electrical work on a regular basis you NEED that tool. If you want to drive the ground screws you can use the square (Robertson) bit or pull out the bits and use the larger shaft as a hex driver. For hex head slotted ground screws, use the smaller shaft. You'll find that you can do most device wiring (switches and outlets) now days with the one square bit. I've grown so accustomed to this tool that I bought one for everyone on my crew, and put them in my pouch, tool box, glove compartment, laundry room and more. If you use the tools as much as I do, stop in at your electrical supply house and get some replacement bits. Sooner or later somebody will break a tip (getting a manhole cover up*) or lose one (down an elevator shaft*). *Not joking really happened

Comment

Working...
          X