Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Dimmer where there is Currently a Combo Toggle Switch/Outlet

Hi there,

I just finished installing track lighting in my kitchen which is dimmer capable. However, the light switch that feeds this lighting supply is a combination toggle switch/single outlet. (light switch on the top, outlet on the bottom).

The receptable has three wires: white (on the white screw on the left), yellow (on the brass screw on the left) and red (on the brass screw on the right).

I want to replace this with a dimmer and just do away with the outlet (since I don't think there is a such thing as a combination outlet/dimmer.

I've tried installing a dimmer using the white and the red, and also tried using the white and the yellow, but neither configuration controls the light.

I might also mention that the white wire feeding the switch/outlet is done via a continuing wire (it's not the end of the wire, it comes into the gangbox, then just looped around the bolt, then continues out of the gangbox). Not sure if this gives anybody a clue.

Re: Adding a Dimmer where there is Currently a Combo Toggle Switch/Outlet

The white wire is the neutral for the receptacle part of the combo device. I would cut the white wire and wire nut them together.Then use the red and yellow to control the light fixture. This should do what you want to do.
    Huck.

Comment

Working...
    X