X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• service required for electric boiler and tankless

question for the electricians. Got a potential customer who would like an oil fired boiler replaced with an elelctric, maybe a slant-fin. What kind of elelctrical service would he need to run this unit? I've always heard 200 amp, but I don't deal with the electrical side of things so I don't really know.
    Also he was thinking about adding an elelctric tankless water heater as well. His choice not mine. I'll probably try to talk him out of it. Would 200 amo be enough to run both?
    Thanks

Re: service required for electric boiler and tankless

most likely not 200 amps. a small electric tankless will draw 120 amps alone and is good for a few gpm only.

is the house next door to a nuke plant because you'll need one to run both the boiler and tankless.

can't you run the domestic hot off the boiler with a heat exchanger at least then it's only 1 large draw appliance.

there was a very long and interesting thread written a couple months ago on a electric tankless heater. plenty of facts and figures.

but you need to do your homework and size out a unit. then post the requirements for us to see. chances are the electrical will be the most costly part of the project.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      most likely not 200 amps. a small electric tankless will draw 120 amps alone and is good for a few gpm only.

is the house next door to a nuke plant because you'll need one to run both the boiler and tankless.

can't you run the domestic hot off the boiler with a heat exchanger at least then it's only 1 large draw appliance.

there was a very long and interesting thread written a couple months ago on a electric tankless heater. plenty of facts and figures.

but you need to do your homework and size out a unit. then post the requirements for us to see. chances are the electrical will be the most costly part of the project.

rick.
      He's pretty hung up on the idea. I'll show him the "nuke plant" comment, haha but seriously I'll probably go with a regular 40 gal tank for the doestic water if I can steer him away from electric tankless.

Comment

Originally posted by HWS View Post
        question for the electricians. Got a potential customer who would like an oil fired boiler replaced with an elelctric, maybe a slant-fin. What kind of elelctrical service would he need to run this unit?
        Well, "this unit" could be one of dozens of different units. How do we know which one you are referring to????

Originally posted by HWS View Post
        Also he was thinking about adding an elelctric tankless water heater as well......... Would 200 amo be enough to run both?
        Again, no way to tell without specs.

I will say that a whole house tankless will be a huge draw like Rick said. I can only imagine a whole house electric boiler would be the same.
        No way in hell 200A would run both.

WHY would they need both an electric boiler AND tankless unit?

Comment

Since for the most part electric boilers are 100% efficient (no combustion efficiency or flue loss) with a 220 volt service, it would take almost 135 amp to be a 100,000 net btu boiler, similar to a 130,000 in oil boiler which is about a 1.00 gph oil nozzle at 100 psi if I recall or close enough.

In this case a electric boiler with an indirect water heater would be the best choice but a killer on the heat & hot water bill.

Comment

in the first case my guess is that you have something closer to 240v. you might want to find that out. in the second case how is it any of your business what he puts in? if it meets code and he has the money, well in my cause the answer would be SURE. breid............

Comment

Working...
            X