X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend wire?

I'm in the midst of remodeling my kitchen. The electrician that did the rough wiring had to retire for health reasons. A second electrician is finishing up the job.
    Under cabinet lighting is being installed. I'd like to have the lights installed at the front of the cabinets. The problem is, is that the wire that was roughed in is to short to reach the front. It's impractical to rewire. Is there a way to extend the wire? Are thin junction boxes made? One that would fit under the cabinet behind the frame (the frame is 1 1/4" deep)? Could a 5/8" pancake box be used?

Re: Extend wire?

Originally posted by johnseverin
    Yes, you can. first, turn of the breaker make sure there's no running electric current. Then split the end of the wires using a blade. and join them using the same wire and some electrical tape.
    Wow. Seriously? Are you even an electrician or qualified to give advice in this trade? Or did you just post to give your signature line exposure?
    This is VERY poor advice and I hope the OP and others realize this.

Comment

Originally posted by mattt19 View Post
      I'm in the midst of remodeling my kitchen. The electrician that did the rough wiring had to retire for health reasons. A second electrician is finishing up the job.
      Under cabinet lighting is being installed. I'd like to have the lights installed at the front of the cabinets. The problem is, is that the wire that was roughed in is to short to reach the front. It's impractical to rewire. Is there a way to extend the wire? Are thin junction boxes made? One that would fit under the cabinet behind the frame (the frame is 1 1/4" deep)? Could a 5/8" pancake box be used?
      Wiremold has boxes that are extremely shallow. Your electrician could find a way to make them work legally and safely.

Comment

Thanks for the information (about the boxes). I'm going to stay away from having the wires spliced together. I can't find the boxes on the internet. Could you point me in the right direction?
        FWIW the job is permitted and the electrician is licensed. He's checking to see if he can find boxes shallow enough that will work.

Thanks

Matt

Comment

have you considered low voltage under cabinet lighting, it may be more flexable than the 120 volt system,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Would this work (I don't see any holes for wires)?
            http://www.pactecenclosures.com/Plas...FLXT-1632.html

If I used low voltage would I be able to use the existing wire that was roughed in ? Rewiring, while not impossible is impractical. The lights are under cabinets that are on either side of a range. They're controlled by a single wall switch. The wall that the wire is in is covered by a layer of plywood and drywall. Both would have to be removed to rewire the lights. Coming in from the top isn't an option as a furnace sits on top of the wall in this area.

Comment

I had the same situation, exept when I built my cabs I allowed 1-1/2 for the lighting (the CSL fixtures I used were 1-1/2 high).

Would laugh at the numbskulls that advise things like extending a wire circuit who clearly have no clue, except that in the electrical world it isn't funny. Their advise could kill someone. Always remember, it's the internet... you have to verify everythign yourself!

I do not like the pactec box you showed, because I don't like a metal cover on a plastic box. It might be allowed by code... I'm not sure - petey can comment. But code or not, if a hot comes comes loose and gets in contact with the aluminum lid, there isn't a ground path. Now you have an energized box cover. Not so good. The pactec produt is a project box - not intended as a wiring j-box.

The lighting circuit is on a GFI though, right?

Petey mentioned wiremold. Their surface mount will probably fit in 1-1/4". My H-D has it in white, ivory and a dark brown. The only problem is sthat the selection at H-D is sometimes spotty and always pricey.

You can get a shallow plastic wall box just about anywhere that will work fine. That's what I used. I just looked at it. It's about 1-1/4 deep. Only problem I see is that the box is bright blue! But you don't see it unless you crouch down and look under the cab.

I don't think a pancake box is a great solution. There is no opening on the side to get the wires in and out.

BTW, if I had to do it again, I would get LED lighting instead of the Xenon I used. Less power, less heat, much longer bulb life. There are more and more styles available in LED and the prices seem to be coming down.
              Last edited by Andy_M; 09-02-2010, 01:24 PM. Reason: add comment on LEDs

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by Andy_M; 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM. Reason: duplicate post deleted

Comment

I'm assuming that the circuit is protected by a gfi (it passed the rough inspection).

I have a couple of questions -

1. Can any box be used as a junction box?

2. Are you advising to only use plastic boxs?

3. I posted this question on another forum and one of the responses was -

"You could also do the splice in a run of WireMold plastic surface mounted channel. The splices will not be with a standard wire nut, but your electrician should be familiar with it ".

Is this safe? Would it meet code?

Thanks

Matt

Comment

I'm assuming that the circuit is protected by a gfi (it passed the rough inspection).

"You could also do the splice in a run of WireMold plastic surface mounted channel. The splices will not be with a standard wire nut, but your electrician should be familiar with it ".

Thanks

Matt
                    #1-Yes, as long as it has the capicity for the number of wires being spliced.

#2 Codes vary from state to state, and some areas only allow metal.
                    I would use the plastic wiremold box with a plastic cover.
                    The lights do not have to be gfci protected.

#3 it not legal. The placstic wiremold channel is not an aprroved splice location, as all splices must be in a box.

Comment

Poor assumption. Lighting is not required to be GFI protected.

Yes?
                      The term "any box" is extremely ambiguous.

Not me. Either will work fine as long as it is sized properly.
                      Here is what I am referring to in metal and plastic:

Nope. You CANNOT splice in a raceway.

I have to say, if you are having an electrician do this why are you doing all this leg work? Let him take care of it and hopefully explain what he is doing so you know what the final outcome is.

Comment

1. Can any box be used as a junction box? Good question. I'm not sure, but I would imagine not. For example, I do not believe that you can use a low voltage box for line voltage wiring. I've never tried to use a box that was not intended for that application. They are so cheap, and available in so many sizes and shapes, I have simply never needed to use anything else.

2. Are you advising to only use plastic boxes? Not at all. A metal box is every bit as good, some prefer them. You just have to make sure that the box is grounded. The plastic box with aluminum cover from pactec does not have a provision for grounding the metal cover. So I wouldn't use it, code approved or no.

You don't have to use wire nuts. You can use other methods, including but not limited to crimps sleeves, or approved push in connectors. I have used crimp sleeves on ground wires... I don't really like them for hot and neutral. You can't twist the wires together and tape them as suggested above. All splices need to be accessible. For example you can't splice a wire in a conduit run. I'm not sure if wiremold surface mount channel is acceptable, I would think not but Petey or one of the other pros will chime in here with the straight info soon, I'm sure.

Thanks

Matt
                        See above in blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                          I have to say, if you are having an electrician do this why are you doing all this leg work? Let him take care of it and hopefully explain what he is doing so you know what the final outcome is.

The electrician didn't know of any boxes that were shallow enough to fit under the cabinet and not be seen. I want to be sure I find the smallest box possible. His knowledge about the different size boxes available is limited more or less to what he's used in the past and whatever the local supply houses carry. I don't mind doing the leg work if it means I end up with a better solution (how deep are the boxes in the pictures you posted?).

Thanks

Matt

Comment

Wow. OK. It's kind of a shame that he is that limited in his knowledge of his trade. The boxes I showed are VERY common items.

Those were 1" deep. Just Google Wiremold box and check out the links. Here is one good one real quick.

Comment

Working...
                            X