Moving a three way switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a three way switch

I am redoing my kitchen and am moving the fridge. It will block access to a pair of three-way switches. I need to move the switches about three feet. They are the second switches in a Switch-Switch-Light configuration. All 4 white wires are connected with a single wire nut. It would be very difficult to fully rewire from the other switch and to the fixtures (wooden ceiling).

I was wondering if the following would work and be safe (and legal). For each switch, run a 3 conductor wire from the old box to the new box. Be sure that each wire going to the switches is connected (through the new wire) to the same terminal it was before. Mark the new white wire with black to indicate that it is hot. Leave the existing neutrals as they are. Put a cover over the old box so it is still accessible, though behind the fridge.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Re: Moving a three way switch

You have the logic right and nothing stands out as a red flag. My only concern would be conductor fill. The old box will have an awful lot of wires in it. Provided it is a deep enough box you would make code.

Comment

How big would the box have to be?

Comment

Originally posted by McT View Post
        How big would the box have to be?
        3 1/2 inches deep on a 2 gang box.

You'd need to refer to a chart in the NEC. Boxes have a specific conductor fill rating. New boxes are conveniently labeled so you need never consult the convoluted chart.

A device counts as 2 conductors. Since you are removing 2 of them that makes room for 4 conductors but you are adding 6. (7 if the box currently has no ground wires)

Comment

Working...
        X