Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of shop light do you reccomend?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of shop light do you reccomend?

I have had nothing but trouble out of my 8' fluorescent lights. I have two in my woodshop/garage. First it's hard to think in there with all the loud 'hummimg' coming from the lights. Second, of the four bulbs (two per fixture) only 3 seem to burn and it's not always the same three. My question is, does anyone make an 8' light that worth the money or should I go with 4 - 48" will this be better? What should I look for when shopping for utility lights for my workshop?
    Thanks for any advice!

Re: What type of shop light do you reccomend?

What you want is a T8 electronic ballast used with T8 bulbs. They are available in 8 foot. No hum with electronic ballast

Comment

Anything sold as a "shoplight" is usually a cheapy...the very lowest quality chinese ballast. The chinese don't do electrical well at all.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone has ever done ballasts well, as I've got a bunch of buzzing fixtures... all old and made in the U.S. I'm in the process of changing out all of my basement shop lights with those that Walmart sells for about $10 a piece. They are made in the U.S.A, but the ballast may well be Chinese. In anycase, they are four foot units with low-temperature starting. I buy the T8 bulbs in the bulk pack at Home Depot (Phillipps, IIRC) where they are much cheaper than buying the single or double tube packs at Walmart.

In any case, I've found the 4-ft bulbs and fixtures much easier to purchase, install, and replace than the long 8-ft units. There is also a greater variety of fixtures too, I believe; and, if you need to replace a fixture, it's really rather inexpensive.

At the instruction from my electrician, I'm simply installing ceiling outlets, which will be wired to the wall switch. It makes it easier to hang the fixture and simply plug it in.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

At the instruction from my electrician, I'm simply installing ceiling outlets, which will be wired to the wall switch. It makes it easier to hang the fixture and simply plug it in.
          I went the same route when I wired my shop for additional lighting a few years ago. Makes it much easier to revise the lighting plan and to swap out a bad fixture. I found some nice US Made shop lights at Lowes for ~$18 each.

At the time HD had nothing that was Made in the USA. They are cold start type with electronic ballast. I went to get a couple more last year and they no longer sell that particular line or model, and I found nothing comparable in quality under $40. SO I guess when these start to go I will be on a quest for a decent replacement
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have a fluorescent with 2 incandescent lights straddling it. The latter are those aluminum parabolic lights with a clamp kind of like this: http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAgQ8gIwADgA#p

I put in a 120W flood that has a "natural" color balance, and it really makes a difference. My shop is in my basement, so I just clamp them to the exposed floor joists above.

Comment

Working...
            X