X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 220v surface mount for baseboard heaters

I'm living in a 100 year old four square with no heat on second floor. I would like to place an electric baseboard heater in each room. I have all the stats regarding current use for each of the heaters. I would like to run a 10/2 220v line around the perimeter of the house on top of the present wooden baseboard. The only alternative to the surface mount would be to break into the plaster walls (trying to avoid). Is there a recommended conduit to use? Do National Codes prohibit this kind of procedure. Thanks!

Re: Running 220v surface mount for baseboard heaters

You can't run 10/2 with ground through conduit. You would have to run #10 THHN and you could then use EMT conduit. You should first calculate the size of the baseboard heat needed for each room. Figure 10 Watts per square foot; more if the house is poorly insulated and has old, leaky windows. Once you have the total wattage for all the rooms you want to heat, divide the total wattage by the supply voltage to give you the amperage. You don't want to draw more than 80% of the ampacity of the circuit. Also, you cannot use the heater case as a wire raceway to get from the connected side to your next heater in line. You might be better off using a portable unit like this:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Comfort-In.../dp/B0033ZOXVG

Comment

Thanks for the help! Since there are five rooms, THHN is the way to go. I have figured the square footage and total draw would be a little under 23.6 amps. Since 80% of 30 amps is 24, #10 wire should do the trick. I'll be using 30 amp breakers on the service panel with double pole line thermostats for each individual heater connected by 14/2 romex just for the thermostats themselves (the largest heater is only 1500 watts, about 7 amps.) The THHN wire would be set up as a main line with the heaters branched from it. I appreciate your time to answer!

Comment

Originally posted by zeek0654 View Post
        Thanks for the help! Since there are five rooms, THHN is the way to go. I have figured the square footage and total draw would be a little under 23.6 amps. Since 80% of 30 amps is 24, #10 wire should do the trick. I'll be using 30 amp breakers on the service panel with double pole line thermostats for each individual heater connected by 14/2 romex just for the thermostats themselves (the largest heater is only 1500 watts, about 7 amps.) The THHN wire would be set up as a main line with the heaters branched from it. I appreciate your time to answer!
        This sounds fine except that even the wire to the thermostats MUST be #10. You CANNOT drop in wire size just because you are going to a thermostat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I understand the reason and I'll make sure the thermostat lines are also #10. Now to get started!

Comment

Working...
          X