Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan blower motor

Hello,
    I have a small blower motor for a fireplace and the motor has only two wires out of it and both are Black. How can I tell which is hot and which is neutral? The power comes in and I have the B wire from the power going to the B wire on a Rheostat and the W wire from the power going to one of the B wires to the fan motor. Then I put the W wire from the Rheostat on the other B wire on the motor. (The Rheostat has one black and one white wire), I am not sure about this since both wires from the motor are Black. Any help is appreciated.
    TPS

Re: Fan blower motor

TPS, does one of the black wires from the motor have any identifying marks on it?
    usually the neutral wire has two or three ribs along the side of the wire, or some kind of marking on it perhaps.
    But then again , on some small motors ,it doesn't matter which is which. The way u explained your wiring it should work and be ok.

Huck

Comment

Thanks Huck,
      Yes one of the wires had some writing on it, I know AWM and an omega sign and I think a 125C or 125 Omega sign (I am trying to read it from a bad position) and several omega signs on the wire. I do not know what these mean, could they indicate a neutral wire? Anyway I will try to get as much info as possible. The other wire has nothing at all on it.
      Thanks again Huck. If that writing means anything please let me know, There was nothing with the motor that mentions it.

Comment

TPS,I would tie the neutral to the wire with the writing on it. Like i said before, the motor is small enough, that it really doesn't matter. Most bathroom exhaust fans are like the motor you describe with 2 black wires.

Huck.

Comment

Thanks again Huck,
          After reading your first post I went ahead and turned it on and the fan worked great. After I turned it off and tried to turn it back on there was a hum at the motor when the rheostst was on high, but the fan did not work. Later I tried it again and it worked fine. This morning it did not work but had the hum again when the rheostat was on high. I have turned it off and left it off for now. After reading your last post I am going to switch the wires, but do you think the rheostst may be bad? I am thinking about getting another to try before I switch the wires what do you think?
          Much thanks again Huck,
          TPS

Comment

jump the rheostat... turn power off. remove rheostat. put in a switch. turn power on. try that. breid........

Comment

Breid has a good point. Try his idea and use a single pole light switch to see if it works every time you turn it on and off. If it works, then chances are your rheostat is bad.

P.S. Your Welcome
              Last edited by huckster4; 11-04-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Breid and Huck,
                I will try that and let you know what happens. It will take a day or two before I can get back to it though. I appreciate all the help and ideas.
                Take care,
                TPS

Comment

Howdy guys,
                  I did what you guys recommended and got the blower fan going. Put a new Rheostat on it and it is going. The man at the place where I got it said it should make no difference which way the wires are hooked up , but now I am beginning to wonder and here is why. The blower seems to be blowing backwards to me. First there is cool air at the bottom of the fireplace and no warm air movement above where it should be. Now if you can follow me see if this sounds like it is blowing backwards;
                  The blower fan is a tube with a small chute at the back and an open face to the front (you can see the fins on the blower). If the tube is facing N and S and the chute is E pointed up, then as you look at the fan from the S side it is turning clockwise. It seems to me that it should turn CC. What do you guys think? I am going to switch the wires and try it as Huck said earlier as I have not switched them yet. Anyway seems the fan is turning backward and maybe switching the wires may cause it to turn the other way. It seems like it will on some of the bigger blowers. This has been a pain but also thanks to you guys a learning experience too!
                  Have a good Sunday and maybe I'll hear from you soon-Take care
                  TPS

Comment

Thanks and update

As it turns out the motor must have been wound wrong! I could never get it to turn in the right direction. I got a new one and it works fine. Well anyway thanks for all the help guys.
                    TPS

Comment

If it is a small shaded pole motor like one found in a bathroom fan or similar, you can change the rotation of the motor by removing the armature and switching the armature direction through field and putting it back together. Now when you apply voltage it will spin in the opposite direction. Lou

Comment

Working...
                      X