If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You will be required to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
I can't call the original installer because the selling agent refuses to tell me who did the work (already explained). I do believe that the whole system is new except for the wiring and breakers and they did in fact use the existing ductwork. One of the first things I do when I get home from vacation is to go in the attic and check things out, ie.. amp draw on the nameplate and try to answer everyone's questions.
were permits drawn and inspections done of this work? if yes then the code official should have the contractors names and license number and record of the inspections performed.
"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
OK, I ordered the new breaker from Amazon.com and it worked flawlessly for 3 weeks. Friday morning I awoke to no heat. Reset the breaker and it ran for a while then tripped again. Called the manufacturer of the unit and they gave me 3 choices of authorized service companies. He came out and checked the whole system, I wasn't home, wife was. He called me and said the system was installed correctly but that it needed to be on a 90 amp breaker. I asked why and he said because I had a 15kw heating unit. I asked are you sure. He rechecked and it's only a 10kw unit. The panel on the front of the air handler says 60 amp breaker required. That evening, breaker tripped again and we had no heat all night. Got home yesterday and reset the breaker, put an amp meter on the line at the panel and it was pulling 40.6 amps. Within 5 minutes, breaker tripped. There was no spike in the amp draw before the trip. I reinstalled the original breaker and we have had heat ever since, no problems. Now, the interesting part is that I had an electrician and a different HVAC tech (my cousin) come over and go thru the whole system again. We couldn't find any reason for the tripped breaker. He gave me some suggestions if it happens again, somethings I can do to help narrow down the problem. It appears to be just a bad breaker or because it's a Federal Pacific panel. As soon as funds allow, a new updated panel goes in. Just thought I'd give an update. Oh yeah, Amazon has already shipped a new breaker, stating the one I received was defective.