X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New heat pump inside uniy blowing breaker

Hi there. I have a weird situation. We bought a foreclosure home 2 months ago and part of the conditions of the sale was a new HVAC system. The seller put a Goodman unit in. Since it has gotten cooler, we started using the heat and once a week, the breaker would trip on the inside unit (which is located in the attic). Now that we are on vacation and our daughter is house sitting, the unit won't stay on. A friend, who is a HVAC technician, came over and looked at it, and as suggested by my cousin, also a HVAC tech, there was a loose connection in the attic. This was tightened and things have improved, sort of. The breaker has only tripped twice and that was shortly after the connection was tightened. My question is this, how can I tell if the breaker is bad? It was suggested that this may be a contributing factor. It is a Federal Pacific, 60 amp, double pole, Type NA or NC. I also am having trouble finding a replacement. Most are available on-line only or a used one from ebay. I hate to risk buying a used one, any ideas?

Re: New heat pump inside uniy blowing breaker

whats wrong with buying online? we are hicks, out in the sticks. that is how we get everything that the local supply house doesn't have. the only way i would buy a used breaker is if there were no new ones. think about it. if your not sure about this breaker how would you know if you got a used one and it blew. when i doubt like with an antique breaker i replace em. you bought the home. am i to believe you are to live there? why do you have a 60a breaker to the "inside unit"? is this a heat pump? do you have electric resistance heat? more info would help. what amps did the "inside unit" pull? breid...........

Comment

should have read the title. heat pump. ok i'll bite why do you need a 60a 2pole breaker to run a fan. i don't remember anything bigger than a 40a 2p breaker and that went to the condenser. the "outside unit". i'm sure there are bigger ones. does the 60a 2p shut down both inside and outside units? all that i have ever seen have a separate 20a 1p breaker. breid.................

Comment

Re: New heat pump inside unit blowing breaker

As for why not buy a new breaker on-line, the only reason is time. I really don't want my daughter staying in a cold house or us coming home to one either (it has been working since the loose connection was tightened tho). I buy tons of stuff on-line, that's not an issue. My feelings were the same as far as buying used on-line, just wondering how some pro's felt. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.
        Yes, this is our permanent home, we are just away on vacation at the moment and our daughter is house sitting.
        As for the amp readings, I haven't talked to the HVAC tech yet, supposed to do that tonight. The old heat pump didn't work and a new system was installed before settlement. From the looks of it, the 60 amp breaker was there with the previous unit and the new unit was just connected to it. I have asked the selling agent to give us the names of the contractors that worked on the house and so far he refuses. We were supposed to get warranty info on all of the stuff (dishwasher, stove, fridge, water heater, heat pump and bathroom fixtures as well as a new roof) but he refuses to give us that as well. No response to emails or phone calls.
        An electrician is supposed to be coming over to take a look at the panel and breaker.

Comment

From the couple of text messages I have received, the outside condenser unit is on a 40 amp breaker and the inside unit is the 60 amp. What had been the norm was the fan would run for a while and then trip the 60 amp breaker. So far, it has been doing OK since all connections were checked and tightened. Thanks

Comment

Re: New heat pump inside unit blowing breaker

I understand, some heat pumps switch to resistance heat strips (as auxiliary heat), when the temps drop down to a given point, that may be the reason for the 60 amp breakers,

Although heat pumps derive their heat differentials aided by electricity, they have auxiliary electric (or less commonly gas) heat source for the days when the outside air temperature drops below a threshold temperature (described as a “balance point” –usually somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees Fahrenheit) or to raise heat quicker than it does in its primary heat transfer mode.
            http://www.airconditioning-and-heati...nformation.php
            If it is Resistance heat what does the name plate on the unit say about amp draw? Is the breaker large enough? for the new unit? Kinda sound like a fly by night group that did the work if no one can locate them, or know how to contact them, and did they do it correctly?

If the breaker is under sized is the wire the correct gage?

also look into the Federal Pacific panel and see if it is safe, there were problems with some of them, (may be why your having trouble finding breaker),
            http://www.inspectapedia.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm
            http://www.allabouthomes.com/FedPacPan.pdf
            it may be wise to have it replaced if it is one of the problem units before it catches fire,
            do a Google search on federal pacific if you want more info,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would bet ya a dollar to a donut the problem is with the federal pacific breaker. BHD hit the nail on the head there. Let the electrician check out the unit.I am guessing that the auxillary heat strips kick in after it runs for awhile and trips the junk federal breaker.Seems to me that either challenger or westing house makes a replacement breaker for fpe breakers{or use too}.If it were me , i would change it out to a better brand of breaker JMHO. good luck

Huck

Comment

Everything checked out OK today with the electrician, other than he suggested I replace the whole panel to get rid of Federal Pacific. This is something I had planned on doing anyway, at some point. I just wanted to keep it running for now. So far so good. When I get back I can check the name plate for the amp draw. It's Connecticut Electric that makes replacement breakers I believe. Thanks for the help, more info to come.

Comment

At least the breaker is tripping!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have a question. Why not call the original installer??? This is only a few months old, right?
                    The breaker should NOT trip if the wiring was sized and installed correctly.

Was the whole system installed new?
                    Were old breakers used?
                    Was old wiring used?

Comment

I can't call the original installer because the selling agent refuses to tell me who did the work (already explained). I do believe that the whole system is new except for the wiring and breakers and they did in fact use the existing ductwork. One of the first things I do when I get home from vacation is to go in the attic and check things out, ie.. amp draw on the nameplate and try to answer everyone's questions.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfan View Post
                        At least the breaker is tripping!!!!!!!!!
                        Oh yeah, I am very thankful for that. Just talked to my daughter and everthing is still ok since the loose connection was tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by museum_guy View Post
                          I can't call the original installer because the selling agent refuses to tell me who did the work (already explained).
                          Yeah, sorry. I didn't read far enough into that post.

These people sound like hacks if you ask me. You DO have a warranty, and they are obligated to tell you who this guy is. I am not a fan of lawyers and law suits, but certainly the threat of a lawyer is in order here.
                          Even if the wiring was not replaced, it MUST still be sized and breakered properly.

Get you the name of the installer and have him fix this! Personally I would accept no less.

Comment

i'm with speedy have your lawyer handle it. in most cases a simply letter from your lawyer will get the ball roiling. not that expensive. besides they should get the heartburn not you. you did your part, you paid for it when you bought the house. breid...............

Comment

OK, so we get home Saturday and it's tripped. Reset the breaker and all is well, until this morning. Tripped twice. Left work, got home and had things checked, everyone believes it is a bad breaker. Ordered a new one tonight from Amazon, made by Connecticut Electric. Will be here tomorrow, will keep everyone updated. Thanks to all who took time to offer advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X