Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120v vs 240v breakers

hey there!

i am planning on installing an electric floor heating mat. i ran a little software telling me that i will be needing 240 to feed this sucker.

now, i do have spare room in the load center for 6 breakers and i have 1 spare breaker (not installed).

the requirements for the mat is 15A 240v. my spare breaker is rated 15A 120/240v. how do i get 240v out of a 120/240v breaker?

do i have to put 2 x 15A breakers in the panel, the load going to one and the neutral to the other breaker (like a beefy range 30A breaker) or do i simply put 1 breaker, neutral red to the neutral bar and the black load to the breaker?

thanks!

Re: 120v vs 240v breakers

Originally posted by HornyPotter View Post
    hey there!

i am planning on installing an electric floor heating mat. i ran a little software telling me that i will be needing 240 to feed this sucker.

now, i do have spare room in the load center for 6 breakers and i have 1 spare breaker (not installed).

the requirements for the mat is 15A 240v. my spare breaker is rated 15A 120/240v. how do i get 240v out of a 120/240v breaker?

do i have to put 2 x 15A breakers in the panel, the load going to one and the neutral to the other breaker (like a beefy range 30A breaker) or do i simply put 1 breaker, neutral red to the neutral bar and the black load to the breaker?

thanks!
    From what I just read, you better call an electrician!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      From what I just read, you better call an electrician!

What he said!!

Comment

Neither!

a 2 pole 15A 120/240v breaker does the job!

thanks to all for reading!

cheers!

Comment

YIKES!...someone must have posted an answer on another website...and off he goes.....

Comment

I wonder how he hooked up the wires?

Comment

kid

who cares. breid..............

Comment

people of little faith... red to breaker slug, black to the other slug of the breaker. no white.

how did i find out? cracked open the the load center, checked other 240v breakers, mimic what i saw and bingo... 240v!

saw the answer on another site? nah... did not bother going to any other site... such a good crowd here.

i wish you all a nice jolt of 240v!

back to you in the studio

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
                  YIKES!...someone must have posted an answer on another website...and off he goes.....
                  They're running with scissors out there. It's scary.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I thought you only had one space available? If that's true and you installed a twin breaker (Murray MP1515 or equivalent), then you only have 110V. In order to get 220V, you need each pole to come from a separate phase and with a twin breaker, both are fed by the same phase....
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by HornyPotter View Post
                      people of little faith... red to breaker slug, black to the other slug of the breaker. no white.

how did i find out? cracked open the the load center, checked other 240v breakers, mimic what i saw and bingo... 240v!

saw the answer on another site? nah... did not bother going to any other site... such a good crowd here.

i wish you all a nice jolt of 240v!

back to you in the studio
                      What better way to learn electrical work. Simply copy what's already there.

Comment

Working...
                      X