Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Phase AC Induction Motor Wiring HELP!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Phase AC Induction Motor Wiring HELP!!!

Can someone please help me?

I'm trying to wire my new motor to my new switch for my lathe. The lathe runs forward off reverse. Off was always center on old turn style switch. The lathe is from Harbor Freight. SKU# 31316, Motor type YCYS7144A, Specs: 550W, 110V, 8.8A, 1700 RPM, 60 Hz, IP44, 300uF, 35uF, E, S1.

I have a single phase AC induction motor which has 4 terminals to connect wires to. This motor is a direct replacement from Harbor Freight. Under this terminal block there are:

2 - White wires going to terminal Z2 (Please note the 1 white wire looks yellow but is white.)

1 - Black wire goes to terminal U2

1 - Red wire goes to terminal U1

1 - Green wire goes to terminal Z1

When you take the front motor cover off there are 2 - Whites connected to a thin flat metal plate which looks like a contact switch. There are 2 caps on the motor also.

I need to wire this motor to a DPDT toggle switch rated 20A 250v.

The toggle switch has 6 terminals. The 2 terminals in the middle are common. I was told that by the electric store I bought it from.

Below are pictures of the motor & wiring.

Last edited by oldscooliron; 12-28-2010, 12:00 AM.

Re: Single Phase AC Induction Motor Wiring HELP!!!

Here are additional pictures & what I you map myself. Note there are metal bars crossing Z2 & U2. They also cross U1 & Z1

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by oldscooliron; 12-27-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

no body knows anything about this?

Comment

I just noticed there is a little metal tag that has the ground symbol on it screwed next to the Z1 (2 white wires) & U2 (black wire). Would this indicate these are the ground wires?

Comment

Here's what I traced.

Comment

ooookkkk. why did you take everything apart? if they wanted you in there they would leave it that way. why didn't you just hook up the new motor like the old one? put it all back together if you can and wire it like it was, if you can remember. if you need help came back. maybe we will help. breid...............

Comment

The old motor was connected to a different kind of switch which had spade connectors all around the diameter of the switch. The switch spring broke & when I took the switch apart to see if I could replace the spring the plastic layers came apart & the spade connectors fell out. I went to my electric shop & they gave me a DPDT toggle switch to replace it. The old motor had 2 - red wires connected to K1 & K2 (where Z2 & U2 are on the new motor) & D1 & D2 had 2 - green wires (where U1 & Z1 are). When I disconnected the wires from K1, K2, D1, D2 I noticed the insulation was cracking all over & the terminal block D1 terminal was melted & D2 fell apart while unscrewing the wire. I thought maybe it was wired incorrect from the factory because the terminal should never melt nor should the insulation be cracking or missing. The lathe was a refurb & did not have the original switch in it which made be believe it wasn't wired correctly in the first place even more.

I did wire black (hot) & white (neutral) to the center DPDT switch & I first connected Z2 (I connected to neutral side) & Z1 (I connected to hot side) on DPDT switch & the motor ran clockwise. I then reversed the leads but the motor still ran clockwise. I did the same with the U1 & U2 leads & it did the exact same thing. Both times you can hear the switch in the motor kick in.

I took the new motor apart to try & map the wires because I was told there is no standard color coding for wiring in China like the USA & this is a chinese motor. Also there is no polartiy markings on the caps nor is there any connection markings on the motor tag.
              Last edited by oldscooliron; 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of imported chinese junk and especially not a fan of harbor frieght, who sells about the worst of the worst. If you bought a US motor (or better still, a US machine) you could probably get definitive support from the manufacturer. As well as a better product.

With the type of motor you probably have (I am guessing, so don't be ticked off if the guess is wrong), the way to reverse the rotation direction is to change the polarity of either the start or the run winding, but not both. If you change both, it will still run in the same direction.

To wire an AC motor to be reversible, I would bring the AC line to the center lugs of the DPDT switch. I then bring two wires off of each of the outside lugs to the motor block so that the polarity of one of the windings is different in one switch position relative to the other switch position. I would be very certain that both windings were disconnected from the line with the switch in the "off" position.

I haven't spent any time looking at your diagram or photos, so you're on your own in connecting the switch outputs to the motor terminals. You should be able to identify the windings and how they connect to the terminals of the motor if you have a good working knowledge of motors and how to use a multimeter. If that's not the case, you shouldn't attempt this. You can take it to a local motor shop, and they can guide you with regards to the proper connections. Be sure you're equipment ground is correct.

That's my two cents. Please keep in mind that you are totally responsible for what you do, and that you've wired your equipment safely. My information is simply what I would do.... so any implied wiring should be verified by you as applicable to your hardware and safe before doing anything.

BTW, a double throw toggle is a bad idea for a lathe. If you hit the switch to turn it off and pop it over to the reverse position, you can tear up your machine. Which, with a harbor freight machine, won't take much. For such applications, I generally design the wiring using two switches... one is on/off, and the other is forward/reverse. I don't locate these close to each other.

Comment

Thanks Andy! I've messed with an ohm meter & my knowledge is limited with it but I know how to test for opens & closed, voltage, & resistance. However I'm stuck on how to find the polarity on the start winding & run winding. I have a black wire (hot going to center lug on the DPDT) & a white wire (neutral going to the center lug on the DPDT) I know each side of the DPDT is separate & I know Z2 & Z1 is either the start winding or the run winding & the same with U1 & U2. My ground runs from the lathe to the ground in the power cord. I just don't know how to figure out polarity on both windings.

BTW I know the toggle isn't good but until I can find a better switch I'm stuck because a drum switch is more then I want to spend on a 7 year old harbor freight lathe.

Comment

Here's a diagram of how I connected the wires from the motor to the DPDT. NOTE: I reversed the bottom 2 both ways & the motor still turns counter clock wise no matter what. I don't see the purpose of both winding in this motor because connecting Z2, Z1 & U1, U2 start the motor the same way & I can hear the switch inside kicking in. I just remembered there are metal tabs across the top of the terminals connecting Z2 & U2 & the same for U1 & Z1. My old motor didn't have these. Could this be preventing the reverse direction?

Last edited by oldscooliron; 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM.

Comment

What am I doing wrong here? I put the switch in the upward position the motor turns counter clock wise. I put the switch in the downward position it turns clock wise. I put the switch in the center (which is suppose to be off) the motor hums but doesn't turn.

Comment

Look at your diagram!!!

Your + and - are your hot and neutral AC LINE, right??

With your wiring, the + and - LINE are ALWAYS connected to Z1 & Z2. Thus, that winding is always powered. That's probably the run winding.

You don't need to know the polarity of the windings. It doesn't matter what the polarity is... it's AC, there is technically no polarity. The only reason we have polarized plugs and all that is because of the equipment ground scheme in use in the US these days. The sequipment ground (green and/or bare in US convention) is connected to the neutral back at the main panel (and nowhere else). So you need not be concerned with identifying polarity... you just need to reverse ONE of them (doesn't matter which) relative to the other one to make the motor spin the opposite way. But you need to make sure that in the center switch postion NOTHING is connected to the hot AC line.
                        Last edited by Andy_M; 12-30-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

You need a 6 terminal drum switch to achieve forward reverse and off. With your switch you can achieve reverse but you will need another single poll to turn the motor off by breaking the hot feed wire.

Quality induction motors have 3 windings
                          start - red and black wires
                          run1 - yellow and orange
                          run 2 - blue and white

Seems your motor is 110V only so you will only have one run winding which appears to be yellow and green
                          and the start (red and black)

To reverse the motor you bring the red and black to your DPDT switch this will reverse the motor direction. To turn the motor on and off you need to break the supply (black - hot) with another switch.

You need to make sure you turn off the motor and allow it to stop before you turn it back on after changing the position of the reverse switch or the motor will continue in the same direction regardless of the position of the DPDT switch

Comment

Since his motor seeme to work ok with the last switch wiring he posted (except that one winding always was connected to line!) I believe he can do it with the switch he has. He brings hot and neutral to the common (center) lugs of the switch and then bring two wires off each outside lug. For ease of soldering he can pigtail the wires to the switch. This allows you to make the needed connections to the two windings AND have an off position. His last wiring accomplished the reversal of one of the windings, and thus ran ok, but didn't include the ability to disconnect one winding.

Comment

Working...
                            X