Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

    GE instructions prohibitheir metal-armored pigtail from being shortened.
    Is this so that the cooktop can be pulled out while still connected?

    This cooktop is set into an indoor gas barbeque.
    The cooktop can be easily lifted out so the gas barbeque can be used.

    GE's three-conductor pigtail connects to a 40-amp 240-Volt plug.
    It plugs into the female receptacle of a 240-Volt gray plastic-jacketed flexible cable which drops down inside the barbeque where it will not get hot.
    The flexible cable connects with wire nuts to #12-3 romex inside a junction box. (12AWG is proper size for the load +10% and distance.)

    When the cooktop is not in use, its circuit breaker in a subpanel inside the garage is turned off.

    Must I install a 240-volt switch or circuit breaker at the barbeque counter?

    Any suggestions?

    Thank you.

    Robert
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 12-30-2010, 10:07 PM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

  • #2
    Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

    The reason the manufacturer put the "do not alter" notice in the instructions is that the unit as delivered is what was tested and approved for a UL listing. They are covering there a$$ and are required to give those instructions.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

      Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post

      GE's three-conductor pigtail connects to a 40-amp 240-Volt plug.
      It plugs into the female receptacle of a 240-Volt gray plastic-jacketed flexible cable which drops down inside the barbeque where it will not get hot.
      The flexible cable connects with wire nuts to #12-3 romex inside a junction box. (12AWG is proper size for the load +10% and distance.)
      Why do you have a 40A pigtail and receptacle on a 20A circuit?
      Who determined what the "proper size for the load +10%" is?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

        Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
        Why do you have a 40A pigtail and receptacle on a 20A circuit?
        Who determined what the "proper size for the load +10%" is?
        That's what I'd like to know!
        Ideal Plumbing

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

          # 12 gauge wire will not now or ever b proper for a 40 amp cooktop if it does work it wont b long till u hopefully only trip breaker if the breaker fails and does not trip the wire will burn up and well u read b4 about house buring to the ground this is a case in point ... (best soultion ) have electrician run a new feed in#8 awg and if u want to have a means of disconect at the location just put it in a jb under cooktop then wire line side to a 240v switch cut plug land on load side of switch put industrial cover on and u wont have to flip breakers every time u want to use it..
          (imo)

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

            Originally posted by clo View Post
            # 12 gauge wire will not now or ever b proper for a 40 amp cooktop if it does work it wont b long till u hopefully only trip breaker if the breaker fails and does not trip the wire will burn up and well u read b4 about house buring to the ground this is a case in point ... (best soultion ) have electrician run a new feed in#8 awg and if u want to have a means of disconect at the location just put it in a jb under cooktop then wire line side to a 240v switch cut plug land on load side of switch put industrial cover on and u wont have to flip breakers every time u want to use it..
            (imo)
            Definitely a safer route.....

            One other thing I'm wondering is......is an electric cooktop wired with a plug/outlet up to code? I could be wrong, but shouldn't these be hardwired?
            Ideal Plumbing

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why can two-burner cooktop pigtail not be shortened?

              i googled "ge two buner cooktop". up popped ge jp202dww. it indeed requires a 20a 2p breaker. 12 gauge wire. they say to connect leads in junction box. don't cut conduit. page 10 of instructions. i tried to copy but it is past expertise, which ain't sayin much. lol. breid................

              Comment

              Working...
              X