Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Can I install GFCI in old two-plug receptical box?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install GFCI in old two-plug receptical box?

Just moved a used clothes washer down the narrow stairs into an elderly man's basement.
    (He has been washing his clothes in his kitchen sink.)

1940s? house. Conduit is to metal outlet box on cement basement wall.

Will GFCI work without a ground?
    I'm planning to run a gronnd wire but must find it in my garage mess.

Thank you.

Robert
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can I install GFCI in old two-plug receptical box?

Yes gfci will work.
    Is the whole house wired in conduit or is the conduit just a sleeve for protection coming down exposed basement wall?
    You can pigtail a ground wire to the metal box to the recept if its all in conduit.

Huck

Comment

And if the GFCI is not grounded, it must be labeled "No Equipment Ground"

Comment

Originally posted by huckster4 View Post
        Yes gfci will work.
        Is the whole house wired in conduit or is the conduit just a sleeve for protection coming down exposed basement wall?
        You can pigtail a ground wire to the metal box to the recept if its all in conduit.

Huck
        Huck, your answer is confusing me.

Are you saying: Yes a gfci will work without ground?

Or

Are you saying: Yes a gfci will work if you do this.........?

I work in a lot of older homes and often need to use a 2 prong adapter in ungrounded outlets to plug in my gfi extension cord. I've often wondered if it would still work without a ground.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

YES, a GFI will work with no grounding means present.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Huck, your answer is confusing me.

Are you saying: Yes a gfci will work without ground?

Or

Are you saying: Yes a gfci will work if you do this.........?

I work in a lot of older homes and often need to use a 2 prong adapter in ungrounded outlets to plug in my gfi extension cord. I've often wondered if it would still work without a ground.

Gene, like Speedy said, yes it will work with no ground.Sorry for the misunderstanding.I just think safety is a major concern when dealing with electricity . Having a grounded outlet is safer,which is why I offered ways to ground the outlet.

Thanks Huck

Comment

Gene, like Speedy said, yes it will work with no ground.Sorry for the misunderstanding.I just think safety is a major concern when dealing with electricity . Having a grounded outlet is safer,which is why I offered ways to ground the outlet.

Thanks Huck
              Am I right in thinking that a ground is basically a back up neutral?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

No sir you are not. Ground is a noncurrent carrying conductor.
                Neutral is and does carry current.hope this helps.

Huck

Comment

No sir you are not. Ground is a noncurrent carrying conductor.
                  Neutral is and does carry current.hope this helps.

Huck
                  Exactly.
                  The ONLY current a ground is supposed to carry is fault current.

Most lay people and handyman types think since they are connected to the same place in the main panel that they serve the same or similar purposes outside the panel. This is absolutely NOT true.
                  It's what happens to them, where they go, and what they are connected to outside the panel that matters.

Comment

one reason to have the circuit grounded is in the event that the gfci does not function. i had seen more than one gfci where the fault part no longer functioned but the recp part still did. in other words acted like a regular recp. breid...............

Comment

Working...
                    X