X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI Electrical Specifications

I wonder if anyone here can answer this - does the NEC specify the operating parameters of a GFCI. For example what amount of ground fault current should cause the GFCI to trip, how quickly should it trip etc.

This is actually a work related question - I'm developing a product that requires a GFCI as part of the product.

Re: GFCI Electrical Specifications

Blue, not too sure about the NEC specifics, but I am sure that the fault current for injury protection is in milli amps.Seems like 5 ma to 30 ma.

Huck

Comment

Re: GFCI Electrical Specifications

the NFPA, who authors the NEC, is the body you are looking for I think.

4 to 6 mA is the trip point for a GFCI. There are testers that you plug in to the outlet and can ramp up the leakage current in 1 mA increments to verify the trip point. /between 4 & 6 mA pases, outside the range fails. The Hubbell Model: GFT2G (~$250.00) or the Greenlee Model: 5708 (~$200) are two that I can think of right off.

There are also cheaper testers with a push button that will trip the GFI, but you'll have no indication as to when, and they are not accepted by OSHA as an appropriate test of a GFIs operability under 29CFR1910 or 1926.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
      X