Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4 black and 4 white wires

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    I hate it when electricians do a switch loop and fail to take the 2 seconds to break out the sharpie and put a line one the white feed line. It takes seriously 2 sec and is just smart. I have wired quite a few of these types of loops between my house and family members during remodels and I always mark the white lead with the sharpie. Not just for my sake but for any future person that works with it down the road be it a home owner or be it a professional.

I learn something almost every time I sign in. I love the idea of using a Sharpie. I have always used black tape for about 3". Sharpie is so much easier.
    Charles

Comment

Re: 4 black and 4 white wires

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      I hate it when electricians do a switch loop and fail to take the 2 seconds to break out the sharpie and put a line one the white feed line. It takes seriously 2 sec and is just smart. I have wired quite a few of these types of loops between my house and family members during remodels and I always mark the white lead with the sharpie. Not just for my sake but for any future person that works with it down the road be it a home owner or be it a professional.
      Well, to give credit where it is merited, a competent electrician should be able to recognise a switch loop when one is encountered, even without markings. Just because someone taken a sharpie to a wire for one purpose, doesn't mean someone else came from behind (Like a "homeowner handyman") to alter the wiring's purpose. So I don't bother. A subtle hint of mine that the electrical trade needs to be left to the electricians.

The only time I do recolor a white wire is in the case of a three-way switching system where the white wire feeds the common terminal on a three way switch.

Comment

Working...
      X