6800 generator circuit breaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6800 generator circuit breaker

I just bought the 6800 watt generator a month ago and I had some problems with it the other day. The circuit breaker (on the removable panel oulet ) kept tripping under a very low load. I had a heater, my refrigerator and a freezer all pluged into the three outlet. When I tried to plug my tv into fourth outlet ( only 150 watts ) the gfi breaker tripped? I added up all the wattage and I was only using 2502 watts? Is this normal? Thanks

Re: 6800 generator circuit breaker

a GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) breaker/interrupter does not trip on amp usage, it trips if there is an imbalance on the power going out and coming back into the breaker, if it is not equal it will trip, as it is indicating that there is an electrical leak some where, (normally considered a possible shock hazard),

so my guess is the TV may trip it with out any other loads on it,

a power or current over load breaker will trip on amp over load, like a fuse will,

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question117.htm
    Last edited by BHD; 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

In all likelihood, you have a defective GFCI outlet. I've replaced dozens of them on the RD6800 and RD8000. Not uncommon at all.
      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I appreciate the reply's guy's. So you think it might the outlets? One thing that I did notice on the outlets themselves was that the small pilot lights were never lite! Even after I reset them?? So I suppose, since the generator is almost brand new that i should contact Ridgid for replacement outlets???

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask... After you replaced the outlets, did it work fine? Thank you

Comment

On those outlets the little LED theoretically only illuminates if the outlet has been tripped by an actual ground fault.

You cannot contact Ridgid for new outlets if you expect warranty coverage. You will have to take the generator to an ASC for warranty service.
            "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I actually had this plugged into a powerstrip, which had my tv, cablebox and dvd player on it. Do you think I should've split the power up??? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jf3ash View Post
                I actually had this plugged into a powerstrip, which had my tv, cablebox and dvd player on it. Do you think I should've split the power up??? Thanks

Possibly, or you have a faulty power strip
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X