X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD8000 Generator

What is the best way to hard wire this generator to a main breaker panel?The generator will be the sole source of power to the panel.
    Last edited by Noclue; 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM.

Re: RD8000 Generator

I most likely would just use the twist lock plug and a flexible cord with the proper sized conductors in it, on that type of generator,

I have two generators in the generator shed, one is a 30kw unit and it is hard wired, but it is totally non portable, on skids, and the second is a smaller portable and I have a twist lock and the proper extension cord with a "male receptacle" on the wall that the two generators then are wired in to a transfer switch what will choose between the two units, that then in my instance goes to a second transfer switch that switches between Utility and generator shed, I bought mine receptacle from Northern Equipment and most likely the cord at the same place.

but since it is a smaller portable unit I would just use that cord method if it was my situation,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I like your solution. The only twist lock plug on the generator is a 30amp-L1430. The generator is rated at 66A / 120V. I want everything the generator can put out going to my main panel for distribution. Am I being limited by the 30A plug/cord connection? If so, what do I need to do?

Comment

The front panel's twist lock delivers full power. It's wired (thru the panel's circuit breakers, of course) straight to the stator windings.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

no your not being limited, that 60 amps is counting both sides of the windings, you can only be about 30 amps on one side,

Specifications
          Running Watts/ Starting Watts: 8,000 W / 10,000 W
          AC Voltage / AC Frequency: 120 V / 240 V, 60 Hz
          Rated Amperage: 66.7 A / 33.3 A
          Engine: Subaru Commercial Grade EX40 OHC
          Max. HP / Displacement: 14 Net HP* / 404 cc
          Fuel Tank / Run Time (@ 50% Load): 8 Gal / 11 Hours
          Weight: 256 lbs.
          Height: 27 in.
          Width: 30 in.
          Length: 31 in.
          you would not be able to run a 60 amp 120 volt load, (unless this generator has a 120 volt only switch, that ties both sides of the generator together to work as one),
          most generators do not have that feature,
          but you can run two circuits of 30 amps at 120, (or 60 amps at 120, but most likely split between two circuits, not one circuit), or a single 30 amp 240 circuit,

the key here is to have your circuits balanced, (in other words if you are running some thing say 10 amps on one side and have other things to run, Say two 5 amps loads, you plug them into the other side so it is balanced, not all plugged into one side of the generator,

the generator is is like two horses, (each horse is 120 volts) pulling and they do best when there loads are equal, and they both have the same amount of work to do, but if you load the generator so only one side or (horse has all the work to do) it will cause more heat and wear on the unit than if it is running a balanced load, (a 240 volt load automatically balances the load, as it takes both sides of the windings to make the 240), so what your trying to do is take your 120 volt loads and make the generator think it is a even 240 volt load, and that is how the generator will see the load as 240 volts even tho it is two sets of 120 volts. working together. (actually it is 240 split into two half's, they can work independanly or together, but they prefer to work together),

one other thing generators are not cheap to operate,

one other thing I would suggest as if the generator is your only power, to consider a batty bank (large commercial batteries like L16's) and a inverter for times where you want some power but do not need a large amount, (some thing to consider),
          Last edited by BHD; 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Your clarifications and suggestions are greatly appreciated....Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Comment

I have been using a rd8000 gen set for standby power to a mountain home for a little over a year. The primary power is from solar, batteries and inverters. My problem is that the RD8000 starts the gas motor which runs fine, but there is no power generated either through the 240 outlet or the 120v receptacles. the 12 volt inline fuse appears to be good,but nothing shows on the monitor when the gas motor is running. I have had the experience of unpluging all the conections and repluging them, with once in a while the unit begins producing power. When I took the unit into an authorized repair facility, of course, the machine worked fine and they had me take the machine home. This has prompted this message because I can't tickle it to the point where it will produce power. Help! I have suspected a loose connection or a wire bad, but I don't know where to look. Could the problem be bad brushes in the Generator?

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X