X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical newbie looking for some help

hey all im looking at re-wiring my home garage in order to run a 50 amp single phase welding machine. The wire running out there right now is 10/3 through what looks like a 1" pvc conduit. As well as the 230v plug i have 4 over head duel bulb florescent lights, the garage door, and will be looking to run 3 or 4 110 plugs. Iv talked with a few electricians and im getting conflicting stories. some are saying i need to run at least a 10/4 wire while some are saying i should be able to get away with a 6/3 wire. The distance from the main box inside the house to the panel in the garage is between 50-60 ft including the 24" drop and rise from the ground. and in the garage id say its more like 25 ft (give or take) from the panel to where im looking at installing the 240v.

any help with clarifying my wire selection would be wonderful thanks

Re: electrical newbie looking for some help

you need at least 3 #6 (2 hots and a neutral) plus ground wire and a sub panel. the sub will be fed from your main panel with a set of breakers.

wire the sub panel with another set of twin 50's for the welder and another 2 to 4 120 volt 20 amp breakers for the lights and outlets.

this should work out.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

ok thanks for the help i dont suppose you know if the cable will fit through a 1"id conduit 90s? or if im gonna have to dig it up

Comment

3- #6 thhn and a ground should fit without a problem. as long as you have electrical 90's and wire lube, it should slide in easily.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Just to be clear. Rick is talking about pulling four individual conductors (THHN) through the conduit. Not a Romex type cable.

Comment

I pulled 6/3 outdoor rated romex through 1 1/4" conduit and it was a bitc* ..Originally I was thinking of using 2 - 1" conduits . 1 for low voltage and 1 for the main power feed. Using conduit I was told I could use reg. cable ..But opted for outdoor rated ..Once I saw how big the cable was I took back the 1" and picked up 1 1/4" ..I should have picked up 1 1/5" ..Trust me it was a struggle even using plenty of lube..Oh and the cable was a bitc* to strip and terminate too..
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are 2 other things you must do - You need ground rods at this separate structure, and a disconnect as well. In this case a simple and cheap A/C disconnect would suffice. Easiest thing would be to put it on the outside of the building where the PVC Stubs up from the 90, put the pipe into the bottom of the disconnect and come out the back of the disconnect to the building. Remember that all Grounds and Neutrals MUST be kept separate. If there is a bonding screw in the panel that you use, it must be removed. Usually that screw goes from the neutral bar to the back of the can and connects them, that is only used in the main panel.

OLD1 there's no such thing as outdoor rated romex... Did you mean UF? If you used UF, why did you kill yourself putting it in conduit? It's designed to be buried.

Comment

Originally posted by Badabing View Post
                There are 2 other things you must do - You need ground rods at this separate structure, and a disconnect as well. In this case a simple and cheap A/C disconnect would suffice. Easiest thing would be to put it on the outside of the building where the PVC Stubs up from the 90, put the pipe into the bottom of the disconnect and come out the back of the disconnect to the building. Remember that all Grounds and Neutrals MUST be kept separate. If there is a bonding screw in the panel that you use, it must be removed. Usually that screw goes from the neutral bar to the back of the can and connects them, that is only used in the main panel.

OLD1 there's no such thing as outdoor rated romex... Did you mean UF? If you used UF, why did you kill yourself putting it in conduit? It's designed to be buried.
                Yeah exactly it is meant for direct burial but I am paranoid....My neighbor is a master sparky and checked out everything ..I'll try and post a few pics ..All in all it was a nice clean job
                ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

problem with putting romex into conduit is the heat factor. the insulation from the romex and the conduit together raises the temperature that's retained and therefore drops the ampacity of the conductor.

as far as i know, romex can only be sleeved for a short section/ penetration. not for a conduit run.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

A 1" conduit is capable of supplying a 100 amp sub panel. It will be tight, be compliant as far as conduit fill goes.
                    If you pulled UF cable into this 1" conduit, I doubt your getting it out. It will be harder than when you pulled it in and may be impossible to remove. A water hose may be the only way.

You should not ever pull cables into conduit. Individual wet rated conductors are the SOP. THHN/THWN is the most common.
                    The disconnect at the building is best provided as the main breaker panel itself. Disconnects can get pricey and breaker panels are cheap.

My suggestion is to try and remove the cable first. If you cannot get it out, you will need to run new conduit. Go up to 1.25 or 1.50 if you have to replace it.

Then come back and let us know whats up. From there we can proceed.
                    Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
                    X