Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 Amp Panel

I stumbled across this site by accident and find it very useful being a
    "Do-it yourself" person. I need to upgrade from a 100
    amp to 200amp main panel. My question, can I replace the panel and put my 100amp breaker in the new box. The reason I ask is because I will be upgrading in steps due to limited time. My thought is to:
    1: replace panel box(still use 100amp breaker)
    2: run conduit/ run new wire
    3: Installed fused disconnect
    4:Remove old main wire and hook up new wire to 200amp breaker
    Thanks in advance!!

Re: 200 Amp Panel

Start here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/

Use the search function on that page. This by far the most commonly asked question on this forum. Tons of free information and professional guidance. Check it out and good luck
    Licensed Electrician

Comment

I will start there, Thanks

Comment

You need to audit the drop from the pole for 200 amps 1 st. You may up size mast and drop. Your power co. will send someone out for free, to look at the drop size conductors. Last one we did cost cust about $600.00 to increase drop . good luck
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          You need to audit the drop from the pole for 200 amps 1 st. You may up size mast and drop. Your power co. will send someone out for free, to look at the drop size conductors. Last one we did cost cust about $600.00 to increase drop . good luck
          This is almost certainly not true.
          The drop from the pole is owned and maintained by the utility and you have no say or control over whether it is replaced or not.
          Probably 90% of the time it is NOT replaced during a service change/upgrade.

Then again, you are in California. I guess ANYTHING is possible.

Comment

I upgraded from a 100 Amp panel to a 200 Amp panel last summer. I asked the electrical utility if it was necessary to increase the wire size from the street pole to the house and was told that it was not necessary. They will increase the wire size if requested but said that it was not necessary.

Comment

My service is underground, When I upgraded from 100A to 200A, I had to change to larger conductors, replace the conduit, AND pay PG&E a hefty fee for the "site plan" and to pull the actual conductors. I had to do the conduit, a 40 inch deep trench, and provide the test mandrel (fortunately I know an electrician that had one). PG&E ran the conductors, which took two guys about 45 minutes. They were not in a rush. The site plan was was three lines in a sheet of paper - 2 of the lines showed the corner of the house and the third one showed the straight run from the meter socket to the vault box. PG&E bill = $1998. And that was because I made a stink. The original quote was $4005.

Comment

Here in upstate NY, the service wire from the pole or from the meter box to the panel needs to be changed, depending on what currently exists. As I understood it (at the time, five years ago when I did mine), the cable was either a smaller diameter (slightly smaller than an inch indiameter which was used about 100 amps) or was the larger (about 2-inches across). My panel here at this house was a Circuirt Breaker panel, but only 100 amp service. I had it upgraded to 200 amps, but didn't have to change the wiring because it had apparently been changed when the old panel had been changed out the a CB panel. The upgrade and the switch-over of the wiring cost was $1000.

Twenty years ago, I had my house in Painted Post sided and near the end of that project we had to stop and have the electical lines disconnected to place the new siding. The entrance wires were too low for current codes and once disconnected, they could not be re-installed. That of course required new wires from the pole (now at the other end of the house, a new weatherhead, meter box, cable and load center installation (new ground rods, entrance, panel, etcs.). That of course meant all new entrance wire. My electrician stood me up and I ended up putting in the service with the help of a knowledgeable friend. We bought the NEC book at that time and did some really fast reading. The old fuse panel was only 75 watts, IIRC (4 screw-in fuses and two cartrige fuses for the whole house). We replaced it with a 150 amp CB load panel and installed the fatter entrance wire from the meter box to the load panel. Everything passed the local inspector just fine.

My understanding is that given the upgrade at that time (1989), I could upgrade the panel today to 200 amp, just by replacing the 150 amp main CB in the panel. (of course if that needed to be done, I'd have to have the electric company shut off the meter and of course check with my local code inspector just to make sure that I met today's requirements!

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post

My understanding is that given the upgrade at that time (1989), I could upgrade the panel today to 200 amp, just by replacing the 150 amp main CB in the panel.
                  I will all but guarantee you this is not true.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. My feed is underground and I have contacted the power co. and they told me my meter was good for
                    a 200A up grade. So if I'm not mistaken all I need to do is upgrade from meter to panel, including panel??

Comment

Why are wanting to up grade the panel? Are you tripping breakers on the mains of the 100 amp panel?

(if you have a electronic meter, it will probly show in one of the dispay modes you max amp draw), in any one month, (demand rate)
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Was going to upgrade the panel because 1. out of spaces
                        2. wanting to put central air in
                        But no I am not tripping the breaker yet, and dont know if I will with the A/C installed

Comment

If one wanted to you could put in a 200 amp panel as a "sub panel" to the 100 amp breaker box that is there now, for the extra spaces, feed the second panel with a breaker off the main one, and the 200 amp breaker will basicly just be a shut off switch, but if you ever need to then one can switch out the two units and turn the 200 amp into the main, and the 100 amp into a sub panel,

the reason I ask is that on the farm here,
                          for example, I live on a farm, we have 4 freezers, 2 refergerators, a walk in cooler, and a walk in freezer, AC and water well and normal other, this last week all was running except for the AC, as I had to butcher two beef,
                          during this time I also used the welder (on a 60 amps breaker), true 5 hp air compresor, a meat grinder that is powere by either a 3 or 5 hp motor, and table saw, and some other power tools,
                          now the meter says 13.5kw, for demand, load, that would be 13500 watts, or max of 56.25 amps on 240 single phase, (now the walk in freezer and cooler are on three phase so is the meat grinder and air compressor,) so the load per phase would be less, than the 56 amps at lest a little, (most loads are on the single phase side of the system 240 delta) I have to my knowledge never pulled over that amount of power,

and most farms arund here only have a 70 amp breaker on the pole here, that is all we had untill I up grade to the three phase, (but was running all the three pahse loads up to that time on a rotory converter that takes single phase and transforms it into three phase), so the same loads on the old single phase breaker, of 70 amps,
                          Last edited by BHD; 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I actually have a 100amp main breaker at the meter, so I'm thinking I could actually install the 200amp panel(more slots) and go from there? I'm pretty sure I would still be protected by the 100A main even if
                            the panel was a 200A. Or should I swap out the 200 with a 100 breaker in the panel. If I did it this way I could do it(upgrade) all to 200A eventually. Are you with me BHD or did I loose you??
                            And thanks the the help

Comment

I am not Up on the NEC, (Code),

but basically that is the way the farm was wired up, for many years, 100 ampand 200 amp breakers on the panels and 70 at the pole, (my wire from the meter to the distribution pole (on a farm with many buildings), was rated for the largest breaker, which is 200 amps in the farm shop, and the wire to the shop was rate for a 200 amp load,

(I do not think there is a problem with having more breaker (capacity in amps) as long as all the wiring is sized amp wise to carry what it is breaker for), and since you have the breaker on the meter, (I would think your wire coming into the box should be rated for the 200 amps or at least what is yours). in the mast or if it is under ground as if the power company would change out the meter and place a 200 amp breaker on the meter, then you would have a potential problem, ( but like I said I have not keep up on the code, and to what is proper, one would have to check with the local inspector or power company),

now if you change your breakers and box out that would (to my understanding) mean it would have to meet the current code, as your changing it, (and arc fault breakers are required in all bedrooms) and there may be other things that would have be be changed to meet the current codes, that may not have been effect when your home was first wired,

there is nothing wrong with the upgrades, but expense,

many of the main panels I have seen many times have a specific main breaker, and not may nor may not be interchangeable with a smaller breakers.

Honestly I do not know if it ok code wise to do what your sugesting or not,
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X