X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-2 through 1/2" EMT

I have a 14' run of EMT that I pulled 12-2 romex through. Its a completely dry application (indoor). Just a motion activated light so not much draw.

Any red flags?

Re: 12-2 through 1/2" EMT

romex is not designed to be installed in conduit. it's a heat rating issue.

but luckily the motion light doesn't draw enough amperage to heat up the romex.

next time just pull 12 or 14 gauge thhn wire.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thats what I suspected... May redo it. May see how it does. The light wont be on for more than a few minutes each time though.

Comment

I dont see an issue. I have seen many electricians drop romex through 1/2" EMT for furnaces, boxes mounted on brick walls, and other items and have always passed inspections. Some guys do put the romex type connector on the end of the EMT, then strip the casing off where it goes through the EMT.

Comment

on our projects we do new services and completely wire homes. I would never pull romex in conduit, NO electrician ever would!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, is it because of heat? To much insulation?

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            on our projects we do new services and completely wire homes. I would never pull romex in conduit, NO electrician ever would!

Comment

There is nothing wrong with pulling 12/2 NM through 14' of 1/2" conduit. Electricians do it everyday to protect NM from physical damage. Basements are a good example. I don't like to do it, but it is code compliant and anyone that disagrees should produce the article that prohibits this practice. It's indoors and the conduit fill is fine.
              You are fine.
              Licensed Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                This is why you are a GC and not a real electrician.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                  This is why you are a GC and not a real electrician.
                  For Your info [ clam head ], I pull My elec. permits and wire legally in S.F. Try running romex in conduet in S.F. and You will never get signed off. What kind of Hill Billy Burg do You "WIRE FOR FIRE IN" ???????????
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Whoa whoa guys, come on, chill out, no need to run personal attacks! Truth is, romex is pulled through conduit for short runs, and passes code inspections and there is no danger in doing so. We are talking single runds, not shoving multiple runs, just single runs of romex. Its to protect it when run down a block wall, in a garage where an outlet is mounted on the outside of the wall or on a pole, or the most popular example I have seen is for a furnace. Most of these runs are a single piece of EMT, with a Romex/EMT fitting on the in-let end and a box on the outlet end. There is NO way a 14/2 or 12/2 single run circuit is going to heat up romex in EMT enough to be dangerous, if that was so, romex would be considered unsafe to use anywhere near anything combustable. To me, that means running a single run through a 6 stud cluster with a 1/2" hole is dangerous... doesnt make sense, no offense.

Comment

And just to further this....

The section addressing the use of romex or NM-B or NM-C ( Non Metalic Sheathed Cable) are in Article 336 of the NEC. Uses permitted and not permitted and protection from physical damage.
                      Article 300-16(b) deals with Bushings. In the case of running romex through metal conduit it needs an insulating bushing at the open end where the romex enters or leaves the conduit.

Comment

Won't fly in S.F. They have extensive amendments to all the codes. Under the 3 trade ca rule I legally perfornm all the trades.
                        Permits are pulled,inspected,and signed off. Most inspectors are x union tradesman. My work gets more scrutiny than , I do neat to code work. You can expect a snarky reply when You give one ! Thanks for listening. TOOL

Comment

Hi Guys,

There are local codes that set rules that are sometimes more and sometimes less stringent than NEC. For example, where I live the conduit regs for ug service entrance are more severe than NEC. Cost me big money! But in other areas of the code, local regs are less severe.

As for *NEC* on the topic of NM-B through conduit, it's not prohibited as far as I can tell, except that you can't install it in wet locations. Personally I wouldn't want to pull it through a few bends, but maybe with enough lube it's ok.

It's also technically a code violation to strip the outer jacket, because conductors are required to be marked every so often (2 feet is the number I seem to remember). Will an inspector tag you on that? Depends on the inspector I would guess. The wire in NM-B is, correct me if I'm wrong, is actually dentical to THHN/THWN except for the marking. Of course since it's not marked, it may or may not have been subjected to the same testing and quality sampling as the marked stuff.

The other problem with stripping the outer jacket is a technicality (as opposed to hazard). NM-B is a UL listed item and has to be used as intended. Stripping the insulation is considered a "field modification". This is technically grounds for disallowance. Can't imagine many inspectors would tag this, but who knows.

I've heard others cite the heat argument. But with NM-B, even though the conductors are really good for 90C, you have to rate the ampacity based on 60C. This accounts for the thermal resistance of the jacket. So I don't think I would worry about the heat effects.

You code experts agree with this?

Comment

I ended up going with what I had. 12-2 (unstripped) through a 10' run followed by another 3" I'll throw a pic up when I get a chance. Light works awesome. Much safer and easier to get the key into the lock.

Josh

Comment

On Hi risers ,tunnels ,ect You'll never find a piece of romex in conduit. Also You don't have romex below 7' 6" without Mechanical protection. Many Small inspectors are former carpenters that inspect all the trades. Many are weak on the Mech. trades. Not Bad people just not up to it. Armored cable is pretty handy for small jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X