X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Panel for shop

I'm going to run power from my outside disconnet to a new shop. What size wire do i need to run for a 100 amp box? Planning on running a small welder, air compressor, lights and small power tools.

Re: Sub Panel for shop

If all you have outside is a disconnect you are NOT going to run from that. You need a sub-feed breaker to come from.

How far is the run?

Comment

I have a outsde panel box where i was going to install a 100 amp breaker. The shop is about 95 feet from the panel box

Comment

Originally posted by juicieslim View Post
        I have a outsde panel box where i was going to install a 100 amp breaker. The shop is about 95 feet from the panel box
        What size panel do you have? If its small like a 100 amp or 60 amp you should consider upgrading this panel first. Or using a smaller sub panel in the shop.

If the existing panel is suitable, bury a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" PVC conduit to the shop. Use #3 Cu THWN wire. 4 wires must be pulled H-H-N-G. You will need a main breaker panel as a disconnect is required at the unattached structure. You use a 100 Amp breaker in the main panel to feed the shop. You can use any size main breaker panel in the shop as long as it is 60 amp or larger.

Let us know how it goes and come back for more help if you require it. Have fun and good luck.
        Licensed Electrician

Comment

Working...
        X